Replacing rear wheel bearings

Axl Myk

Local time
5:22 PM
I have a 26" Giant wheel w/7 spd cassette and want to service the bearings. what tools are needed for the job?

I have a 26" Giant wheel w/7 spd cassette and want to service the bearings. what tools are needed for the job?
You have to count the notches inside the cassette, and get the right socket. There are ones with different diameter too.

You need a freewheel removal tool, of your style and a chain whip. An old chain and a pipe and a set of vice grips will work too. Just slide a looped chain through the pipe, lock to the wheel, pull the pipe close to the cogs, then use the vice grips to lock the piece of chain on the other side to the pipe. You will also need cone wrenches. You will also need a ratchet ( the hand tool, not person) to crank on the freewheel tool, or a pipe wrench.

Thanks guys. I might go for a ride tomorrow since the weather is warming up for a day or 2. Then I'll be taking the wheel off and see what I have.

Back