Replacing the cheap Chinese bolts with studs

michael whiteman

Local time
3:01 AM
I had planned on replacing the exhaust manifold bolts on my 142f with studs seeing as so many people have broken them off or stripped the threads in the block. I figure I'll be retightening these quite often and do not want any issues to deal with in the future. Good luck finding 5mm studs and when (if ) you do, take a deep breath before looking at the prices. So..... I have decided to drill these to 1/4-20 and use American studs instead. I am seriously considering putting 4 studs in the mounting holes also. Maybe Americanize them too.

I had planned on replacing the exhaust manifold bolts on my 142f with studs seeing as so many people have broken them off or stripped the threads in the block. I figure I'll be retightening these quite often and do not want any issues to deal with in the future. Good luck finding 5mm studs and when (if ) you do, take a deep breath before looking at the prices. So..... I have decided to drill these to 1/4-20 and use American studs instead. I am seriously considering putting 4 studs in the mounting holes also. Maybe Americanize them too.
I went a little further than that for my exhaust...i took the existing bolts out, went to my local LOWES hardware store, measured the depth needed and matched up the threading, pitch, etc. to good stainless steel allen head bolts instead and used along with split ring lockwashers...works like a charm and hasnt shaken loose at all...DAMIEN

I also use blue LocTite to keep fasteners from loosening up. When replacing the intake or exhaust, run the engine for a minute to warm it up, then let it cool down completely. Then re-check the bolts. I haven't had any come loose after that.

I also use blue LocTite to keep fasteners from loosening up. When replacing the intake or exhaust, run the engine for a minute to warm it up, then let it cool down completely. Then re-check the bolts. I haven't had any come loose after that.
I actually do both the locktite and the lockwashers...i know, im so anal retentive a fart cant pass through...lol...DAMIEN

Back