Restoring a bicycle.

KiDD

Local time
6:21 AM
I was on my home for a job interview and saw this poor bicycle abandoned! It was leaning against a clothes donation bin. It's an AMF Roadmaster Pro Tour I've never heard of this bike before. It's kinda rusty and has a broken spoke. Needs a new chain and a good cleaning. I'm worried about the rust..

What the best way to get this ride back to something respectable?

we have a few restoration guys here...KilroyCD, for one.

google Sheldon Brown, he covered everything....cleaning & rust removal, too.

Kidd, AMF (American Machine and Foundry) is known for their bowling alley machines, but at one time it was one of the largest sporting goods manufacturers/suppliers in the nation. They even owned Harley Davidson motorcycles for a while (the dark years according to some).

Restoration is easy and fun on a bike like this, but be warned, you'll spend more in parts than the bike is worth (AMF bikes weren't very high quality and have very little resale value, if any). For parts, look for a bicycle recycler in your area--it looks like you'll at least need a front brake caliper and possibly a headset.

The actual steps in a restoration is to take apart the different groups (brakes, crank/bottom bracket, head/stem/handlebars, cables, etc)--one group at a time-- clean everything, lube and reinstall. While some areas of the frame are exposed, you can touch up paint if necessary.

For actual instructions on how to do some of this, Sheldon Brown's website is really helpful, as is the Park Tools website (repairs and tips). There are some helpful bicycle repair forums out on the web too.

It might seem a little intimidating at first, but the best way to learn about bikes is to do just this...get one, tear it down and rebuild it. Remember the best way to eat an elephant--one bite at a time.

Have fun!

not a bike to restore.
Sorry to be so blunt--and yes sometimes people do through away bikes that should be restored,so do keep an eye out for bikes (sting rays are the number one to look for)Light weight bikes that have campagnolo/or 531 stickers are a must have too---sam

I abandoned it :( Makes me feel like a horrible person, but it was clearly of low quality. Hopefully I find something better

Goodwill store, sally etc. can be a treasure trove for bicycles. I never paid much attention to bikes before but now I givem a good look just to see whats up. I was waiting for an appointment and to kill some time I went into a goodwill store and there were about 10 bikes in there and none were over 35$. You name the style and they had 1 of em.

Amazing, I've been fixed gear obsessed for about 2 years now and have been to Sheldon.com hundreds of times. If you don't know your way around a bike (old or new), you will eventually. It's a completely different world looking for a bike to put a motor on and one to actually pedal. Just like the fixed gear craze has brought out the old bikes on CL in my area, I imagine the MB craze (it's here since I'm doing it) will bring out the old Mountain bikes and cruisers. Unless you have a bunch of parts lying around getting a bike with drop bars will probably be some work since you need to redo the brakes.

I would like to have a donor bike w/ motor that weighs less than 45 lbs since I have to carry it up a couple stairs.

Chicago Schwinn, Puch, Raleigh, Nishiki, Miyata, Trek, to name a few:

I wish I had this bike back that I sold-frame is perfect for the 2 stroke imho:

IMG_0547.JPG

Last edited:
Back