Resurface Cyl Deck

Should I use sandpaper dry or should I keep it wet?
Use it dry, Ya gonna want to brush off the metal dust after about every 25 rubs or so. Use a paint brush or a whisk broom
Use fresh new sandpaper and keep it clean for the best results

I hear guys say to spray the Glass with WD-40 to hold the sandpaper to the glass. I never tried it

If ya can find a stick on 120 and 220 10" or 12" sand disc sheet that works real good Just peal and stick that to the glass. I only have 120 stick on sanding disc sheets I never have found 220 stick on disc sheets, I guess I should look harder Because I want some.

I really have to pay attention and go slow when using a piece of 220 sandpaper on plate glass so I don't wrinkle it.
A wrinkle will ruin a flat surface. Gotta use fresh new sandpaper for good results.

Tip: don't use spray on adhesive to stick the sandpaper to glass, The adhesive sprays on uneven and you'll never get a flat surface.

Should I use sandpaper dry or should I keep it wet?
When I resurface a head I just go back and forth and turn my work after every 25 strokes (rubs)
When I know I'm flat I'll start to go in circles using very light pressure on my work.

By going in circles you'll be tempted to put uneven pressure on the head without knowing it. Causing one edge to become slightly lower
Best to go back in forth and and turn your work after every 25 strokes or so. Finish off with very light circles.

Don't forget to mark up the surface to be sanded with a Black Sharpie Pen So ya can check your work and know when it's flat.

Back