Resurfacing Cylinder Deck - Resurfacing Cylinder Head - Shaving Cylinder Head

Wrench

Local time
3:58 AM
Howzit Everyone,
Yea, this topic has been talked about before. I would like to share what works for me.
One of the most important things for your Whizzer engine is good compression.
Must have a Flat Cylinder Head and a Flat Cylinder Deck. Resurfacing will make them perfectly flat.
I'll explain in order how I suggest to resurface the Cylinder Deck, Head and Case. I'll also explain how I suggest to Shave the Head.
Resurfacing is usually done by hand on a perfectly flat surface. I use Plate Glass. Sandpaper should be new or in very good condition.
While resurfacing check your work. You'll be able to see the high and low spots and watch it become flat.
Resurfacing can be done to many more important flat surfaces of the whizzer motor. Make it tight and Right.

Cylinder Deck Resurfacing
First scrape off any carbon with a razor blade. Use 220 grit on plate glass. You will see it become perfectly flat and shine.
May have to start with 120 grit on plate glass. When surface looks flat. Switch back to 220 and make it shine.
Cylinder Head Resurfacing
Start with 120 grit on plate glass. when surface looks flat switch to 220 grit. You will see it become perfectly flat and shine.

Using a Bench Top Belt Sander
If you have a Bench Top Belt Sander it's easier to resurface the head. Belts should be new or in very good condition.
Use 120 grit belt to take of all the surface carbon and appear flat. The belt sander table is not perfectly flat. But it will get it very close.
Switch to 120 grit on plate glass. Then 220 grit on plate glass and make it shine. Or go for the mirror finish.

I like to use 12" round sanding disc stick on sheets on plate glass. Their nice and big and don't move around.
I resurface my heads every 1,000 miles and clean or replace the copper head gasket. Routine maintenance for my Whizzer.

Deck The Case
Use 120 Grit on plate glass. switch to 220 grit and make it shine. May have to start with 120 grit on bench top belt sander.

Shaving the Head
Use a bench top belt sander start with a 80 grit belt. Don't wear gloves. When the head warms up almost too hot to hold.
Put the head in a shallow pan of water and cool it off. Clean off any aluminum dust before shaving again. Hold the head in the opposite direction each time. Check depth measurement in both valve areas and measure where ever you think it's important to insure you are shaving the head evenly. Adjust your hand pressure to compensate. When you are within .020"th of your depth goal switch to a 120 grit belt. When your very close to your depth goal switch to 120 grit on plate glass. When you reach your depth goal switch to 220 grit on plate glass. You will see it become perfectly flat and shine.
You have shaved the head.

I hope this info can help someone
ALOHA Wrench

Attachments

• DSCF7404.JPG
    DSCF7404.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Hi there,
I have a 2007 SE5 (WSE 000041) engine. Can you confirm the torque for the cylinder head bolts. My manual says seven (7) ft. lbs. for the 7x 6mm bolts.

The thing is, my bikes head has 7x 8mm plus 2x 10mm bolts (in the middle).
Thanks!

Hi there,
I have a 2007 SE5 (WSE 000041) engine. Can you confirm the torque for the cylinder head bolts. My manual says seven (7) ft. lbs. for the 7x 6mm bolts.

The thing is, my bikes head has 7x 8mm plus 2x 10mm bolts (in the middle).
Thanks!
8mm bolts 15 Foot lbs / 180 Inch lbs

10mm bolts 17 Ft lbs / 204 Inch lbs

Got it. The engine is out, busy replacing rings and head gasket. Honed out the bore and ground the valves/seating. Waiting for the copper head gasket to reassemble. Surface ground the head and cylinder surface with 120 and 220 grain paper. Looks great!

Thanks for all of your tech advice, helps a lot.

She's gonna run great now that you've resurfaced the cyl deck and head

You should probably check the Piston Ring End Gap "PREG" on the compression ring

Take the ring off the piston and put it about 1" in the top of the cyl boar,
Square up the ring in the cylinder bore with the bottom of the piston
Using a feeler gauge measure the PREG
PREG should be between .012" and .018"
If the PREG is bigger than .018" you need new 57mm standard rings
Check the PREG at the top, middle and the bottom of the cyl boar just to make sure the Boar is true

New Standard 57mm piston rings

Ya might as well get the set, new piston, rings, pin & clips

Back