REVIEW 4 cycle up and running report "IT RUNS"

T

thatsdax

ok. All finished..Except for Kill switch and another Kick stand. Forgive the shotty nature of the bicycle. It is a good bike though. TREK 800. So..Here is the deal so far with this new 4 Stroke.

As you can read in another post, Parts were missing. The sprocket that comes with the kit must be a 55T or larger. Since parts were missing, I put on a standard 44T. Later ....Checking the Blue tool bag that came with the kit, I found more than tools...There were all the missing parts I needed..O well...I should have checked the little blue bag..Who would have thought.........But..Anyway..Got her all installed with a 44T. Next...Was to start her and ride her and put some testing miles on this 4 stroke.....

Before starting...I pulled the plug and checked for spark. Standard operating procedure...SOP. On the first pull looking for spark, A double hand full of oil came flying out of the spark plug hole and went all over my garage wall...After some wiping...I covered the engine with a rag and pulled several more times blowing even more oil out from on top of the piston and a lot out of the exhaust port. WOW !! All that oil in the top of the cylinder may have seized my motor or even bent the connection rod with all that excess pressure. Maybe it would have broken my rope starter and saved the engine...Never less..It did not happen..Only because I wanted to check for spark by removing the plug. Since the engine is shipped with no crankcase oil, that must have just been a ton of assembly oil. A TON !!! so...I filled the tank with premix..Since that is all I have..And took the bike out to the drive way...No Joy..I pulled and pulled and pulled !!!! I hate Pull starts !!!!! Finally..I go some ether and sprayed some into the intake...She fired..only until the ether burned off.. I pulled the plug and dripped some fuel in there... Pulled several times...She fired..and ran till that burned off. So..Back into the garage she went... I pulled the carb and took it apart and cleaned all the jets. Oh..Did I mention..I filled the crankcase with 10W40 Valvoline.

ok...Back out to the drive way... All is ready except the kill switch..Pull...and pull..and..Did I mention I hate pull starts ? I hate pull starts...On the 3 pull..She lit.. I made some carb adjustments...And Jumped on the bike..And away I rode !!!!! Yea !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok...We are cooking now !!! She runs great !!! About the same power and speed as the two stroke. This surprised me. It feels like more torque for sure..About the same speed...Not sure..But at any rate..She runs great with less vibration and less engine noise..But the auto clutch with reduction gear drive makes a whine !! I mean..A whine !! IT is louder than the the 2 stroke for sure !!! All because of this Transmission. Wow !!! It is a Whining Screamer !!! I thought that since this transmission is enclosed, and having no directions at all. I felt that this was a wet clutch and gear enclosure and that is was screaming for oil !!!! So..I took her home and added 1/2 pint of 10W40 to the enclosure ... And...That was a messy mistake. It all came back out the little vent hole drilled in the filler bolt . It came out ...All of it..All over my bike , leg and everything..So..I guess it is a dry clutch with reduction gear..lol...Anyway..That is the latest.
I will now go and put on miles and see if she goes or blows !!! That is why I bought this motor.. To test and see if they are better than the traditional 2 strokes. Well..Here are the pictures of one of the first installed and running 4 stroke kits I know of...I will keep you all posted of the progress !!! Thanks again... and remember.... Thats DAX !!!!!
8_MVC007L_1.jpg

8_MVC008L_1.jpg

4-stroke gearbox blues

Hi mine sounded terrible, got a little better, and now will not pull the bike. More news after I pull it off and figure out what went wrong. The newer GB's are supposedly CNC cut, and should be more normal sounding units. I have a cnc box, but the Hung Shua engine, and the Honda have doifferent ouput shaft size, and I got to shim up to use the box on my exsisting engine.

Mike

Thanks for the reveiw! Who else has one or is getting planning on buying one?

I am being given one to try out. If I like it I can buy it for cost price. I can't believe the gearbox is noisier than a 2Stroke. My Grubee is noisy but still nowhere near as noisy as the 2-stroke. I'm beginning to be grateful for not trying the oil bath in the clutch. The bad reports seem to be coming in thick & fast. What I want to know is if Dax could pull the bike uphill on a 44T sprocket? My engine can't get up hills with that sprocket. Maybe Dax is very light.

My 4 Stroke .....

I too have a 4 stroke in Frame with Grubee JL type gear box. IT whines like a school bus trying to climb Mount Everest in Reverse. I have tried it both wet and dry. No joy. So I quit riding it. I just got an email from a guy who also bought and installed one from another Vender. I will not mention the name. I will leave it up to the person that bought it. They are a member of this forum.. Same issue. He is asking me if he can use the Titan gear box. I was sorry to tell him no. Since the cranks for the Titan Engine are different. Titan setup is entirely different. At any rate. I am testing a new setup 4 stroke in frame. New Tranny setup. Outward looks are the same as the others, guts I am told are different. We will see. I will keep you all posted once I get the time to finish the install. Anyone in the Denver Area? I am looking for some Local Testers to test, prove, and document testing of new bicycle engine products. All engines, parts and bicycles provided. I am looking for OT&E operational test and evaluation personnel. Thanks..

Titan Frame Mount

When there is a Titan frame mount I'll buy it. My grubee gearbox isn't too noisy at all with just grease in it. I think I must have an improved model because it is quite acceptable and the noise is not embarassing in any way. The full length exhaust sounds like a little Ducati!
I had to take off the 44T sprocket cos it just found inclines too hard but it cruised so quietly at low revs on the flat. That is why these things are crying out for 2 or 3 gears. The 56T sprocket climbs OK but the top speed is way down and the revs way up. I've made up a duplicate wheel all loaded with a 48T sprocket and chain of right length to match so I can swap over for fast flatter runs but I haven't tried it out yet.
I remeber readingsomewhere in here that someone used a 36T sprocket on a 4 stroke but I can't see it being any good except downhill.
Has anyone had experience using a 48T sprocket on a 50cc Chinese or Honda 4-stroke? I am interested to know. Pity I can't volunteer to test Dax's frame mounts but Australia is too far away. I like the sound of the Tital rear mount and look forward to the frame mount. Also I find the Schwinn Typhoon tyres good enough suspension at 35psi to make the lack of sprung front forks not a problem.

My Grubee box is not noisy either- I like the way the engine itself sounds. Mine doesn't really sound like lawn equipment, it's a little sportier than that.

I am testing the 48 as soon as I can- as I mentioned in other posts, I used the 56 before and that would be fine for most of what I do, I just want to see what the 48 does....however, that may still be a few days- when not practicing law, I have to install a new dishwasher at home and replace the control arm bushings on my car before I get to spend quality time with my bike.

If I beat you to it HoughMade I'll let you know how the 48T goes. I'll probably try it out this week-end. The 56T is good. I rode it tonight 20 kms on a lonely twisting road through absolutely stunning scenery all lit by the nearly full moon. It was exquisite smelling the cool night air tinged with cow dung and the smells of Eucalyptus woodland. It pulls nicely up hill - not quite as gutsy as the HT70cc but faster top speed and more comfortable ride.
The 48T will struggle on steepish hills I'm almost certain but if I can keep it moving fast by pedal assisting I'll stick with it. Trouble is I fear that pedal assisting might not be able to keep it in its comfortable power band and an engine struggling makes me feel ill with the stresses it is under. If that's the case it's back to the 56T. The worst hill I have to climb is the one I live on so I need pulling power every day. It's not a nice hill to push a bike up either or I wouldn't mind. Is there a 50T sprocket I wonder?

I have seen 50 tooth sprockets mentioned...I will have to check that out.
Don't forget to look in the old dishwasher - there might be one in there and, if not, then the new dish washer might have one you could borrow for a while!

Back