Review Of The Ez Matic Drive

• Thread starter Deleted Member 4613
  • Start date
D

Deleted Member 4613

Over the winter I installed a single speed EZ or Q matic drive for my HS 142 engine and kit that I purchased from Grubee. Today, I got the first chance to test the drive, and unfortunately I was dissapointed. I was hoping for a good start from a stand still, but the engine wound up but the bike move very slow from a standing start, definitely not enough for me to ride on the streets in traffic.
I believe the test proved a single speed is not enough. I know they were working on a two speed which would probably work. MS

Last edited:
Hi Mike
I got the 62 tooth sprocket and wheel adapter from Jim at Creative Engineering. If you are using the stock exhaust, that is taking away from the engine power too. I'm using the flex pipe exhaust and I'm very happy with the sound and the power increase. I also modified an old Whizzer WC-1 air cleaner to fit and I'm sure that has helped too. My engine is the HF79cc not the HS49cc but the results have been similar according to others that have done these mods. The first pic is the air filter, the second is the flex pipe exhaust. I hope this info helps you as it did me. These little engines need all the help we can give them. We are asking them to do more than they were ever designed to do.

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_0736.JPG
    IMG_0736.JPG
    201.1 KB · Views: 734
  • IMG_0737.JPG
    IMG_0737.JPG
    186.5 KB · Views: 547
  • 2010 Lewes Rally 017.jpg
    2010 Lewes Rally 017.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 554
Thanks RD, great bike. I have ordered a larger sprocket from BlowbyU and I will try the flex exhaust. I hear the flex increases performance by 18%. 10% would be good. Who supplied the flex pipe and the cost? Thanks

Thanks RD, great bike. I have ordered a larger sprocket from BlowbyU and I will try the flex exhaust. I hear the flex increases performance by 18%. 10% would be good. Who supplied the flex pipe and the cost? Thanks

The flex pipe is available from Quenton Guenther, and he has it available in both non-stainless and stainless steel. I have the non-stainless on mine, and it does pick up a patina with use. I'm not sure of the current cost, but PM Quenton and he'll be able to give you the price.
I have a 64-tooth sprocket on my bike, which does have the 49cc HS142 engine. I find the accelleration to be quite acceptable with that combination, and I'm not a lightweight rider at 300lbs. Recently a friend (260lbs) was riding my bike and I was trying to keep up with him on my Whizzer (which is 138cc and approx 4hp with the modifications made to it). He walked me going uphill.
I like to cruise around 25mph on my bikes, but another friend rode my Q-Matic equipped bike and had it up to 40mph (as indicated on the speedometer that isn't GPS, so I don't know how accurate it is). I've had it up to 35mph with the 64-tooth sprocket, but 40mph is close to red-line on the engine.

Attachments

• 2010 Lewes Rally 007a.JPG
    2010 Lewes Rally 007a.JPG
    303.4 KB · Views: 505
You can probably get the flexpipe from an EZM dealer, or use flexible natural gas or water heater line from your local hardware store. Napa also sells some flex pipe. Don't use flexible conduit, it leaks. If you have an appliance repair shop near you, you may be able to get something that works for pretty cheap. You will need to make a header flange, too. An old 2-stroke exhaust works perfect for that, as it's bolt pattern is the same as the Honda/HS. Just cut it about 2" from the flange, slip the flexpipe over it, and use hoseclamps or an old seatpost clamp to secure it.

My brother has a Honda and Q-matic, with a flexpipe, definitely increased power and sounds great. He can hit 40MPH with his 56T. I also have a flexpipe. We both use a $5 (@ Lowe's) Briggs muffler on our setups.

Wow! I did order a 72T sprocket. I have no interest in going over 30pmh, maybe 25 would be my top for cruising. As soon as I get the sprocket, I'll install it and report the results, and I'll also test the flex pipe. Thanks for all the help. I will have to upload another video of my chopper, which is also equipped with a complete 12 volt electrical system. Here's my bike: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laGa_wgYxqY FYI I disconnected the generator to test how much power loss I was getting from the generator and it was barely noticeable. Mike

with a 72t, I can pull 300+ lbs of trailer and grandkids from a dead stop without pedalling :)

30mph is close to redline , but she will do 25-27 all day long without problem

any centrifugal clutch will slip until it is spinning fast enough for full engagement

diy flex pipe

Like mentioned above there are cheaper ways to make a flex pipe .But if money is not a problem get the stainless.Here is the one I did using liquid tight conduit and the briggs cigar muffler.Cost me under $5.My neighbor is an electrician so flex was free.

Attachments

• P1280714.JPG
    P1280714.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 588
Got my new 72T sprocket today and it is very well made, totally straight, excellent work.
I ordered from BlowbyU, and it was shipped from King Sales. Great work guys. I still remember how badly the Grubee sprocket was with crooked teeth that I had to spend hours on filing to make it work. And the Grubee chain was also junk, so I threw it out and ordered a 415 from McMaster Carr. Will report when I have the new sprocket mounted.

Installed my new 72T sprocket today on the rear wheel. It fit like a glove and was perfectly straight. Spun the sprocket on the wheel and it was as straight as a arrow. Big difference from Grubee sprockets with crooked teeth. I had to file the Grubee sprocket and then shim it to get it to work. What a pleasure to have excellent workmanship!

. What a pleasure to have excellent workmanship!

The sprocket and adapter I got from Jim at Creative Engineering is great too. You just can't beat good old made in USA quality when it is done by someone that cares about his or her customers.
Oh and when are the pictures coming? We need pictures! lol
It's sounds like you are having a ball. It sure is nice to work with quality parts.

Jim

Last edited:
Back