Review of Yong Xing machine zone 60cc

B

BSA

My friend (raph92 on this forum) and me have thrown together this bike.

This engine can be purchased at http://stores.ebay.co.uk/YXM-Zone
Bought for £50, (about 100$)

First impressions:
Box had holes in it,
Motor was intact and all parts were present.
The clutch lever was just a converted bike gear shifter with a brake handle built in, which is completely inappropriate. I replaced with a locking clutch lever from transformer cycles.
The fuel tank clamps were far to small for our top bar. A number of bolts were complete junk.

Other than that the parts were perfect.

The engine runs, and has not had any major problems. I'm running on 16-1 synthetic mix. Maximum speed for the first 50 miles is 15, and I will speed up after that. A bit of oil seeps out of the exhaust gasket.

We ditched the chain tensioner, more trouble than it was worth. Used the rear dropout to tension the chain, bought a sprung loaded tensioner for the pedal side.

Conclusion: excellent value for money, decent performance for bargain bucket prices.

Attachments

• P1000098.jpg
    P1000098.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 1,358
  • P1000099.jpg
    P1000099.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 984
Got the exact same engine on my bike, no problems yet apart from exhaust pipe exploded, that was partly my fault though after removing the baffle. I would recommend this engine because of how cheap it is, but unless you treat it nicely for first 10 miles then you are likely to get some problems.

I best not remove the baffle then. What petrol mixture are you running it on? It is a great engine. Did you keep the stock clutch handle, I replaced mine with a locking type, much better.

BSA

Well I removed the whole baffle, not leaving any thing inside, I was going at about 30mph and i think the silencer acted as a crude expansion chamber, gasses were building up quicker than could escape + carp chinese welding = BOOO0M! ye Ive got the same clutch handle but i have built a roller thingy for it, (check out large fillipino's clutch cable mounting, well worth it!) much smoother and less tension put on the cable. Got a new tuned chrome racing mini moto pipe, with expansion chamber on its way (got it 99p on eBay). i'll pm you with the thread, if you want to give it go. I'm 16 from england, your pretty young too aren't you?

O.K Shes now done 100 miles at 16-1 standard oil. I will change to synthetic soon. Mechanically the engine remains sound, while it does seem to flood a lot. I'm going to take the carb apart and clean it and see if that sorts it out. It maxes out about 20-30MPH. I don't have a speedo so thats my best guess.

BSA

Now done at least 200 miles. Engine does not seem to be pulling as well as expected now.

BSA

Have you opened up the engine? When asked Yong Xing claims to use roller bearings on connecting rods.

No I haven't opened u the engine as yet, and I'm not likely to as I'm moving onto a new project. I suggest cutting of the mesh filter in the fuel petlock as it gets clogged up real quick and I think has been reducing the performance of my engine.

Use an inline fuel filter, they are availible at most motorist discount centres and are only 50p.

I do intend to open up my next build which is an 80cc. I'll be starting a new reveiw thread for that.

BSA

I asked if they can include an assortment of parts for a top end rebuild (I specified exactly which parts since the seller may misunderstand) along with the kit for an extra charge; and they agreed.

So its confirmed they use roller bearings. Unless they give me a bushing engine to clear out very old stock. But I' m prob being abit overly paranoid here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also ordered a pull start unit for it, only cost me £10. It broke after about a week though. The rope snapped.

The guy sent me a happy chinese new year postcard with the parts that I ordered. It is one of the cheapest kits available, and you get free parts replacement for a year (you just pay the postage). I will be using these people again because of how cheap they are.

The guy seems nice enough and tries to help as much as he can, although his english isnt perfect you can still understand what he is saying.

I did send him an email asking what the exact displacement is for the engine, and he just told me to look on page two of the manual. So this suggests that either he doesnt know that much about the engines, or much more likely he is being dishonest about the advertised size.

Fastboy

Last edited:
Sounds like a good engine for its price - I am sorta tempted to look into a frame mount engine but I have all in all put in almost £1000 on the bike I have now and its reliability is important to me.

We just need a few more people and we could have a UK chapter lol.

I would LOVE to see the looks on peoples faces if we all were to do the Mersea Island motorbike meet one year :)

Incidentally - I have heard tell that engines can be run on less than the manufacturers petroil mixes. I am looking at replacing the Tanaka with a more powerful engine - but it runs 25:1 and I am worried about smoke from exhaust... any suggestions or opinions?

Jemma xx

Back