Revopower Wheel

im very excited about this technology actually...

and tho you point out most of the downsides/pitfalls keep in mind things can be improved upon ( tweaked ) in time.

the gas tank is the easy and obvious one...

enhancing the speed is just a matter of engine size really it will debut at 25cc and roughly top out around 18-20 mph. want more speed ? well thats simple just wait there will be other options after the initial release of this thing im sure.

12 lbs on the front wheel or 15 lbs total doesnt seem like too much to me BUT i will have to see it in action to make a final judgement of course .. ( though i got to tell you i really have no worries in this area at all. )

about the coasting this is the area that is most gray to me and why i need to see the actual product in a working setup before i could decide. the videos are not enough for me.

unfortunately at this time there hasnt been anything im able to find news wise thats new about it. i was a little disappointed to say the least because i am teetering on what to buy and need something now. i really feel like this would be my best possible solution. its a great idea but we just need the product now...

the price point of $400 i liked a lot. now that its announced it will be 1/3 more at $600 i would still consider it. but go much higher and i don't see it catching on... and with the other options coming out with rechargeable electrics from schwinn and I-Zip. the main selling point of this would be its price in comparison. in todays world more and more consumers are looking for alternatives that do not requires gasoline at all, even at 200+ mpg this wouldnt be able to compete imho with the new rechargeables. so its main selling point is going to be price.

also keep in mind add the cost of the bike you want and how much closer to the price of these new schwinn/I-zips are you ?

its a great idea/product but like most ideas it has its day to shine im just afraid the sun might already be setting on this one. now its time to step it up a notch revo before that happens.

From the open veiw of the machine at least two of the gripes here are easily solved...

Firstly the gearing can be adjusted fairly simply - just replace the either of of the two drive cogs and lo and behold - geared up or down...

Depending on the clearance it *might be* possible to fit a boost bottle which would help with smoothness and power...

It is probably possible to bore out the engine a little - or if you are that desparate build up a 21cc racing engine with the same dimensions from readily available parts... It *might* be possible to retrofit a 25cc sized engine but that depends on clearances...

Once these things are actually on the market it is true aftermarket parts will fairly rapidly become available...

Price point is good, but the thing that worries me most is what effect it will have on handling of the bike..

Jemma xx

Revopower might take a while. Me thinks should consider going with something else, and then switching to Revopower when/if it becomes available.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RevoPower
...On May 16, 2003, Katsaros and Richards founded RevoPower, Inc. Its release has been postponed numerous times, having been planned variously for the second quarter of 2004, late 2005, early 2007, and being expected for early to mid-2008 as of May 2007. ...

The earliest mentions online of the current design I seem to find are from May 2006.
~

Last edited by a moderator:
I have wanted one of these after they had an article in popular mechanics about it a few years ago. It has a few huge advantages to it over our mid and rack mounted engine systems. The largest advantage is it's simplicity and relative safety. The wheel is supposed to freewheel whenever its not pulling so using your bike like a normal bike is not as much of a DRAG as it is with my chain driven chopper. Top speed does leave something to be desired but reduction in weight and price will win it out over electric hub motors (ones with good batteries, who would want SLA anyhow?)
I'm getting it when it comes out, Azkronic I had the same Idea of the revo in front and a good electric hub system like the Bionx on the rear. When you're out on the clear road you can kick the bionx into regen mode and charge your batts, then use the electric on bike paths and wherever you need the combined torque and power of both systems to carry you up hills and such. The bike would end up being heavy with both systems but as long as you had some juice left in the batts you could keep the bionx on assist mode 2 and eliminate the weight of the bike. Should be smooth enough to peddle without any assist at all until you encounter a hill but most likely your gas and electric systems are not going to fail at the same time. A perfect bicycle.

now thats really an excellent and exciting idea and a perfect mating. you would think there would be a company somewhere already making something like this or atleast trying to but i just dont see it.

now thats really an excellent and exciting idea and a perfect mating. you would think there would be a company somewhere already making something like this or atleast trying to but i just dont see it.
I don't see why the engine has to be inside the wheel.
It's visually striking, but technically it's an unnecessary hassle.
There's a number of companies in the past that have made rear wheels with motors fitted on the left side, and there's no reason you couldn't do a front wheel the same way.

Now that I think of it a bit...... if you fitted the engine on the right side of the front wheel, you could even use a normal rear wheel on the front. That way you'd have a motorization setup that would fit on lots of bikes easily, you'd already have an easy way to connect the drive sprocket to the wheel, and you'd also have the engine be able to totally freewheel (with NO friction!) when the engine was not in use....
~

Motorwheels are one of those delightful inventions that've been around for a loooong time.
Take a look at these......

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/3098/motorwheeldt3.jpg

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/7822/motorwheel2ca0.jpg

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/9322/motorwheel3uk7.jpg

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/8383/motorwheel4jh5.jpg

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/9075/motorwheel5pp6.jpg

I think it would be awfully good fun to make full sized working models of these vintage motorwheels :D The first one would be a right challenge; - I wonder if the design ever got to the prototype stage :confused:

I don't see why the engine has to be inside the wheel.
It's visually striking, but technically it's an unnecessary hassle.
There's a number of companies in the past that have made rear wheels with motors fitted on the left side, and there's no reason you couldn't do a front wheel the same way.

Now that I think of it a bit...... if you fitted the engine on the right side of the front wheel, you could even use a normal rear wheel on the front. That way you'd have a motorization setup that would fit on lots of bikes easily, you'd already have an easy way to connect the drive sprocket to the wheel, and you'd also have the engine be able to totally freewheel (with NO friction!) when the engine was not in use....
~

I think the problem with the motorwheel type engines and the reason they are generally on the lhs is the way the generally available engines rotate, im not sure on that but its the only reason I can think of the almost standard fitment of engines to the LHS of the frame...

Apart from the problem with those **** fenders it was that which discouraged me from fitting up the DGE7/32 with a front mounted engine because it would all have to be put together in reverse effectively..

Jemma xx

Regarding rotation of the engine, low tuned engines with TDC spark timing are dead easy to start backwards, and will generally run equally well in either direction. Even so, I've got a pocket bike CVT transmission here that's got a single-stage 3.5:1 reduction gear on the output, so its output rotation is reversed. The reduction gearing is very compact, about 100mm by 60 by 60 including input and output shafts. Conventionally bike derailleurs are RHS, so any come-after drive unit is going to accomodate that for the market.

I like the motor wheel, I like how simple it is. It is interesting that It will not run while standing still, I suspect it is not hard to start. I was looking at the rotary, a little Price but a nice design. It has been around for a while. Have fun Dave

Attachments

• Pro-Rotary Bicycle Engine.jpg
    Pro-Rotary Bicycle Engine.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 968
Back