Rhode Island - Companies will not insure!

secondchancevt - PM sent. Please let me know how you make out.

jboisclair - small state. What part? Inspection is the third part of the process. One that I was hoping to skip, or at least find a station that would understand and accept the system as a bike and not a full blown moped. According to the written law, all mopeds must be inspected by the last day in June each year.

So: registration, insurance, inspection on a bicycle...amazing how anyone can live up here. Don't get me started on personal property and real estate taxes. Not to mention $5/gal home heating oil.

Our small price to pay for the honor to live in RI.

I'm from Westerly, you are in Cranston right?

And if my engine had to be inspected, does anyone think if I said my 70cc was a 49cc they would believe me or would they actually take apart and inspect the engine?

Last edited:
I'm from Westerly, you are in Cranston right?

And if my engine had to be inspected, does anyone think if I said my 70cc was a 49cc they would believe me or would they actually take apart and inspect the engine?

jboisclair -- wouldn't count on that - unless it was stamped 49cc somewhere -- not saying this is the thing to do... Many of those inspectors have owned motor bikes - motorcycles themselfs - happen on one of those - trouble a coming !!! Happy Riding from - Mountainman

Last edited:
In vermont, you have to have a headlight, taillight, horm, and mirror. I still need a horn for inspection, but once I get insurance, I'm there...

Hopefully this week!

I'm from RI to, I would like to know if anyone has gone threw and completely gotten:helmet 100% no questions asked legal? I would really appreciate the steps taken to do so. I have my MB all together and ready to go however i am trying to get it 100% legal. If they say i can enjoy it legally i am tearing it apart and building a SICK commuter machine.:unsure::D :helmet:

Though it's not necessary by any means of legality here in Idaho, I would like to vin up my bike as well for insurance purposes.

The person you need to contact is the DMV investigator for your county, there's only one per county, and they are super busy generally. Talk to him about what you would need to do roughly to pass inspection and get a State Issued VIN.

You know how to convert a dirtbike into an enduro? Blinkers, more than adequate lighting, mirrors, etc. The biggest obstacle he told me that there was is braking, as bicycle brakes are generally lacking. So, short form - go with some hydraulic disc brakes and a top hat adapter from KingsS&S, and then you've got a chance. Investigate what a motorcycle needs to be legal in your county/state as well, they are listed in the vehicle code for your county/state.

After that - you're not a bicycle - you're a fully legit inspected and VIN'd moped, and you don't tell the insurance company anything more than that if it can be avoided. If they have questions for you at that point debating on if they can insure it or not - say these two phrases.

"Would you like me to give you the VIN again?"
"Let me talk to your supervisor."

Never had a problem ive been motor biking with gas power engines for 6 years ..from all the cops i know they all said 49cc and under No more then 30mph no plates aslong it have working pedals

Back