12t.jpg

13t.jpg

14t.jpg

15t.jpg

16t.jpg

17t.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE:

Well, I got my parts for my bike yesterday and got the bike all fixed up and ready to travel again.

The Good: I upgraded the Jug on the bike and made my bike a 58cc now. I didn't have to change the drive train at all which is great. I just swapped the piston rings and jug (complete top end conversion) Everything bolted togther like it was meant to do so and the 48/49cc even had a bit longer of a stroke than the 58cc giving me even a lil bit more power.

Also I now have an extra top end... I thought I had melted the top end as the bike was basically seized however, when I took the bottom end apart I found just a little piece of gasket the was making the engine tie up I removed that put the bottom end back together and it was as smooth as the day I bought it.

The cyclinder did have a VERY small amount of scoring due to the hang up and the piston did as well. The rings were fine. I rehoned the cyclinder making sure not to bore off any metal just smoothen the surface (as I didnt want to loose compresiion). I used a VERY light hone and now have a nearly prefect head again. I did however buy a new piston to go with it (**** 11$ or a potential issue... I decided to spend the 11 $).

LASTLY a WARNING:

Some people will try and tell you you can swap the top end of the GT2 48cc Grubee with a GT4 66cc Grubee top end ... This will NOT work as I mentioned before the 48cc stroke is just slightly longer and you will not have the clearance. I kept the top end and bought a piece of metal that I am going to fabricate a space to go inbetween the cylinder and bottom end. I am Sure this will work and basically have a machine shop in the basement here at my Uncle's so fabrication will be easy (I am basically making an extra thick gasket type space the adding gaskets to top and botom of it to assure for no leaks. I am not 100% sure how long this fabrication will hold up Howver, I figure why not play with it a bit. Now my engine will be able to be a 48, 58, or a 66... Kinda kewl, and will be nice as spares or to change power when I hit the bigger mountains in the rockies. I am also fabricating a new front and rear sprocket. I have tones of motorcycle parts so I am machining them. The front was easy as I was basically able to just slide it on with a couple mod's. The rear I am still playing with and is a bit more difficult. I am doing this mainly to change out chains. I am going to be changing to a 420 chain (the same thing I have on my yamaha r6) this will be MUCH more heavy duty and should save some time as I have already broke a couple chains.

Anyways, I will let you all know how it goes.

MARSHALL

Bought a new trailer after 1200+ miles the old one was pretty beat up (but it was like 3 years old to start)

Made a slight modification to give it more support.. :D

trailermod.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Marshall, as soon as I saw Copper you won me.
(Yep, another dog-lover.)
One of the reasons I can't do a trip like that is my dogs - I can't take both with me and can't leave them behind.

A problem with the spacer you mention is that your port-timing will be altered. How much is anyone's guess.

Regarding your broken chains, what size - 410 or 415H?

Back to the trip: I've been following Augi's ride from the start, now I've got two to follow.
Good stuff so far. Great pics, too.
Good luck and keep us posted.

I really enjoy your posts and pics, Marshall. I also envy you the freedom to just go "in the wind" this way.

I also have a concern with your spacer. Aside from the port timing, I'd be concerned with differential expansion rates of the metal the spacer is fabbed from and the alloy of the jug/head. Since you are going doubled gasket in any case, I'd suggest you machine the internal lip a smidgin wide of the jug lip - that way, if the jug and head expand more than the spacer, you dont create a "lip" that the piston can hit.

Wow Man, I envy you also! People dream of seeing the things you've seen so far. Sorry to hear about the theft. That really sux! What jerks! Karma will get them.

Look forward to the rest of your trip. Best of Luck.

Hows the fishing been? I would love to do a long distance MB fishing road trip.

Supply Issue

Has anyone herd about a shortage of motor bike kits due to an issue with international shipping of them from china.

Hello everyone been ridin a lot so here an update. Currently I am in Munsing MI @ the top of the upper peninsula right on Lake superior its beautifful.

I spent all morning and yesterday fly fishing the Fox Rtiver aboiut 30 miles east of where I am now. I caught my limit of trout last nite and caught my limit this morning (all brook trout the largest was 16 in a NICe broioky. I will try and post some pics again soion as I am just using my phone to do these updates.

More to come soon.

Good travels
Marshall

Such a thread must inspire a few of us the envy for taking on a similar trip which in my case would be travelling around France and afterwards possibly some of W Europe. Mind i would have issues concerning the cheapo Chinese engines as the one i purchased recently (less than 2 months ago) didn't last long before blowing up but that's for another topic.

NB: Great pic's and sound's like yer getting a real buzz what with man's best friend + MB & the open roads.

Back