riding in ri

You know, you're the only member that I can think of off-hand who's in Rhode Island.

It really is a small state, isn't it? But that's okay....

These bikes are definitely legal in some places and definitley illegal in others. In most places it's just not clear.

But most of us have found that if you only ride like a responsible part of traffic, then the police just don't care. In fact, they're usually friendly.

Good luck.

RI has recognized them. 2HP/30MPH or less. They require registration and license, and you must be at least 16 years old

ref the MB laws listing - page 29.

Oddly enough, they also require that out-of-state M.B. owner/operator, whose home state does not require registration, must get a RI registration/stickers for their bike to be legal in RI.

Last edited:
RI has recognized them. 2HP/30MPH or less. They require registration and license, and you must be at least 16 years old

Oddly enough, they also require that out-of-state M.B. owner/operator, whose home state does not require registration, must get a RI registration/stickers for their bike to be legal in RI.

Wow, 2 HP electric bicycle 25 mph or less. Nice !

I live in RI. As for the inspecton/registration I'm still a little foggy. I Googled it and asked around about the inspection of the Bicycles and no-one could give me an answer. IT'S A TRAP! The guy at the motorcycle shop that does inspections said he never heard anything about the bicycles needing inspection nor was he certified to inspect them. He told me to Just Ride It. Thats what I'm doing. It was fun for a little while anyway. See I also have a motorcycle's license and just planning on buying a Duel purpose motorcycle. No more confusion with the bicycle.

Back