Riding in the rain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerstroke

Local time
1:11 AM
Does anyone here ride their motors in the rain too?

With the exposed air filter and electrics, it got me thinking that wouldn't this strike a problem if it all got soaking wet? Or does the bike just power through, already suited to all weather conditions?

If not, what can I do to prevent any problems with the electrics and air filter if it was to get wet?

I ride my weed eater bike (my old beater bike) in snow, rain, etc with no problems. And that doesn't even have an air filter atm lol. The air filter shouldn't be a problem because it's shielded on a HT engine (assuming that's what you have). However I think the HT might have problems with the magneto getting wet so I'm going to let someone who's actually owned a HT answer that:giggle:

Its a 66cc 2 stroke engine from ebay, not sure if it even has a brand because its the cheapest one I could fine. Straight from the factory lowest price

If your magneto cover isn't waterproof, your asking for trouble. It's going to fill with water and cause the magneto coil to rust. Corrosion is bad for current flow. You can try sealing it with RTV sealant.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Shrink wrap your wiring connections too if you need to ride in the wet.

I ride in the rain regularly. I'll only pass on that if it's a truly extreme storm.

I do seal my magneto and clutch cover with RTV silicone. In fact, I just make a new gasket entirely out of the stuff.

I've never had trouble with the air cleaner. Mostly, I suppose, because the air inlets are pointing downward. I might be a bit afraid of some of the more 'open' air filters that I see pics of.

Another worry that you might end up dealing with is freezing wet hands in these spring rains. I get around that by using bar-mitts during the winter. They stay on until the middle or end of May. When it's reached the point that even if it's going to rain it won't be all that cold.

Rain riding is completely do-able. Even if it's a bit inconvenient.

It's amazing just how much rain these 2-stroke Chinese bicycle engines will cope with.

One time i was caught in a downpour with around half an hour's worth of riding in front of me before reaching home.
Ironically, it wasn't water being sucked through the air filter or water getting in the magneto case that stopped the bike, but water getting in the kill switch; shorting out the internal contacts; preventing the bike from running.

Once i disconnected the kill switch, the bike fired up and i continued on my way home - riding for another 20 minutes in pouring rain.

I ride in the rain ice snow mud everything. only problem I've had was ice buildup on the wires shorting out the ignition. went to break it loose and got a good shock. so tape on the wires and seal the part of the case where the magneto wires come out. as for rain getting in the carb not a problem but it may clog up your filter.

sucking in clean water can actually boost the power a bit without any damage to parts.
sucking in muddy water splashed up from car tires can cause the carb slide to stick and can scratch the cylinder lining and even ruin it if sand is ingested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back