Riding in the rain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
as for moisture getting into the magneto casing, you may consider putting a silicone cube in the corner of the case to large to get in the way of the working parts. and every once and a while take the silicone out of the cube or case and dry it out in the oven evaporating the obtained moisture so that it may be re used.

yes sorry and thank you for the correction. silicone sealing the wire output then putting the silica gel inside. I would do this myself but there is no sence as I put 500 mi a month on my bike. Ill need a new engine in 3 months Im sure. I'll probably toss it in the scrap metal pile before it blows around 2,500 miles.

yes sorry and thank you for the correction. silicone sealing the wire output then putting the silica gel inside. I would do this myself but there is no sence as I put 500 mi a month on my bike. Ill need a new engine in 3 months Im sure. I'll probably toss it in the scrap metal pile before it blows around 2,500 miles.

Then I hope you'll be pleasantly surprised! (I'm going to be concentrating on reliability mods too, so I flippin' well hope so!)

if you are looking for reliability, then do NOT go with the shift kit!

I'd love to read all about exactly what problems you've encountered with the shift kit. I have to get one ifI'm to motorize my bike, so I have to solve any and all associated problems. Unfortunately I just got my boots on and heading out, so we'll have to continue this later, maybe in a specific thread if you're up for that. :)

Ethanol has half the energy content of gasoline, so you need to burn twice as much for the same level of power.

Naturally they won't charge you half the cost of gasoline for a gallon of ethanol, so your wallet gets hit harder at the fuel pump with ethanol blended fuels.

Ethanol absorbs moisture in the air, so you can't afford to leave your bike sitting unused if you have an ethanol blend in your fuel tank.

and

i hear that ethanol use requires the engine to have special ethanol compatible seals.

If you run ethanol blended fuel after running an engine jetted for straight gasoline, you need to rejet the carburettor to make allowance for the extra fuel flow required to achieve correct air/fuel ratio. If this is not done, the engine will run lean, and consequently it will run significantly hotter, and with less power.

Ethanol has half the energy content of gasoline, so you need to burn twice as much for the same level of power.

Naturally they won't charge you half the cost of gasoline for a gallon of ethanol, so your wallet gets hit harder at the fuel pump with ethanol blended fuels.

Ethanol absorbs moisture in the air, so you can't afford to leave your bike sitting unused if you have an ethanol blend in your fuel tank.

and

i hear that ethanol use requires the engine to have special ethanol compatible seals.

If you run ethanol blended fuel after running an engine jetted for straight gasoline, you need to rejet the carburettor to make allowance for the extra fuel flow required to achieve correct air/fuel ratio. If this is not done, the engine will run lean, and consequently it will run significantly hotter, and with less power.

You don't need to rejet for ethanol. you're still getting the same amount of fuel in the engine, just that fuel has lower energy content. You still need to maintain the same stoichiometric ratio for ethanol. If you want to gain back the lost power from using ethanol you need either forced induction or a carburetor that allows more air/fuel flow.

Ethanol is pickier about proper jetting though, if you have to rejet it probably means your jetting wasn't quite optimal in the first place.

The real problem with ethanol is that it's corrosive and loses energy content. The carbs that come with these HT engines are crap enough as it is, I'd stay away from it.

I do beleive you are wrong fabian, please post a reliable source to inform us that ethenol has a lower octane rating than that of 93 octane gasoline. after all, why would we run funny cars on alcohol?

We can safely say that pure ethenol has a higher octane than gasoline. but what about after it has sat stale in a storage tank with water? I do not think it helps any. besides alcohol has a lower flash point than 93 octane gasoline and burns slower. So does the 2 stroke no good in high rpm's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back