Riding That Friction Thing in the rain !!!

Mountainman

Local time
12:15 PM
yes -- yesterday was my first day riding my friction drive in the rain

I guess that most already know what I am going to say

it was NO FUN AT ALL !!!

my friction drive slipped like HOT BANANAS ON THAT TIRE

I had to push the friction wheel down so tight

that it took a LOT OUT OF MY TOP END SPEED

yes - and I should known better - I have been thinking about fenders

that DIRTY water came up from the front wheel into my face

mixed with who knows what into my eyes while riding

the OLD MOUNTAINMAN was soaked from head to toe

with a fender added to the front (rack on rear engine kept some water away)

I may be able to suffer through some more of this rain

but -- as BB King sang years ago

after just one day --- THE TRILL IS GONE !!!

it's looking as if it will be sunny today -- thank you Lord as I

ride that thing

I grew up in western Oregon, I reside in northern Louisiana. Both very rainy places. Fenders are your friends, as are goggles. I've kept riding a few times when I really needed a snorkel.

I've been caught in the rain once, on my friction-drive. (and twice, I went riding...on purpose, while raining .....in the name of science..hehe)

my findings......I was able to travel at 17 mph.
I had to be very gentle on the throttle & pedal-assist to get up to speed, but then the engine alone would maintain that speed. I put NO extra pressure on the drive roller.
any attempts at full throttle, slipped like a buttered, baconwrapped, hot banana!! hehehe

under normal dry conditions... my 23cc mitsu, staton-inc kit runs 24 mph, with the 1" steel drive roller.

I just needed to know for sure, if I got caught in the rain, I could still "ride that thing" home, under engine power.

Yes...I need fenders, too!!

getting wet changes with age

I grew up in western Oregon, I reside in northern Louisiana. Both very rainy places. Fenders are your friends, as are goggles. I've kept riding a few times when I really needed a snorkel.

hi SimpleSimon

I sure do hear what you are saying
and being a former bicycle shop owner
I should know better

here in San Diego we do not get much rain
but - it was crazy of me to count on that

some of it I am thinking SS could be age also
thinking back when I was a younger guy
many weekends on my motor cycles
I would ride day and night in the rain
of course I was dressed more for the rain and had the fenders a going on

getting wet today though at 57 years old -- get's old fast !!!

once the REAR END, feet and head was soaked -- I wanted DRY HOME

but - remembering that I should just be grateful that I have something to ride

have a good day - enjoy yourself as you -- ride that MB thing

there you do Dave

I've been caught in the rain once, on my friction-drive. (and twice, I went riding...on purpose, while raining .....in the name of science..hehe)

that's the difference

when us guys are doing it in the name of science
kind of like going to the moon or something like that

when we have to get somewhere on the wet machine

I don't like that when I have to ride that thing in the rain

but - if it's just for fun -- I LOVE TO RIDE THAT THING IN THE RAIN

I have yet to ride my FD in the rain. Just as long as I got a little push from it and its not totally useless I'm happy with it. Maybe you should do the grinding wheel grit mixed with slow cure JB weld. I heard that works well in the rain. Metal does get slippery when wet while a grinding wheel or similar surface should never slip. I guess staton has to do some R&D.

And this is why I am vehemently disliking friction drives....

It was proved in the 50's that friction drive = slip in the wet.. yet so many people still use them. Although to be fair - if it doesnt rain often in your location then they are viable.

The belt drive I use will hit 38mph flat out (#14 gear) and it never ever slips... having done over 1200 miles :) and it works in the rain, cold, snow and all the other pleasantnesses of the UK's climate.

Rain at 30mph really hurts by the way...

Jemma xx

I know what you mean about friction drive slipping in the rain or even if it is a little wet out. That is why I bought a GEBE kit after getting aggrevated with my DE friction drive slipping when it was wet out.

I have a belt drive (kevlar v-belt) and it slips like crazy in the wet!!! It's a friction-drive in the sense it uses the belt friction with the pulleys for grip.

I can drive on wet roads without much slip if it's not raining and I don't hit a puddle, but most of the time driving during or after a rain sucks.

Back