Riding the MB to the store

Nickt919

Local time
12:58 AM
I bought the bike 7/21. Took about a month to outfit everything so it’s running about a year now. It seems like an eternity..not just one year.

Other than a brief stop at a connivence store early on a Sunday morning to get a couple cheap cigars …. It’s never out of my sight once I leave home…I’m yet to ride to a store and go in for more than a few seconds and let the bike get out of my sight.

I live outside the edge of a rotten city with crime and drugs so rampant I can’t bring myself to go in to like a grocery store and let the bike out of my sight fearing a low life will steal it.
I was wondering.. the ones who do errands on their bike… do you lock it to a street post or something anchored to the earth that would take more than a few minutes to separate the bike from the fixture?
Or..do you just pull up, put it on the kick stand, and go on in about your business?

I've taken mine out for a handful of small grocery runs. I just use a regular braided cable and keyed lock, and just lock it to a parking lot light or something similar. I avoid bike racks since it doesn't sit nicely in it and don't want another bent wheel.

That being said, I've only taken it to stores in small towns and a nice city nearby. Worst I've had to deal with was some lovely person shoved a drinking straw wrapper into the tank.

I cant remember, but some brand of lock will refund the bike if it gets stolen while there lock is on it..

I am really careful, but I do take mine to the store once in a while. But I would never leave it without locking it up to something really substantial, and make sure the cable goes through both the front wheel, and the loop in the frame. - - And my cable lock is "kryptonite", so not really fun to snip through.
Also, when possible, I lock it in front of the store window, so I can keep an eye on it as much as possible.
The low-lifes that make this rigamarole necessary really piss me off!

Good ulock and a cable. Even if just going into 7/11 the ulock gets used. Cable is to just make it harder to steal.

I bought the bike 7/21. Took about a month to outfit everything so it’s running about a year now. It seems like an eternity..not just one year.

Other than a brief stop at a connivence store early on a Sunday morning to get a couple cheap cigars …. It’s never out of my sight once I leave home…I’m yet to ride to a store and go in for more than a few seconds and let the bike get out of my sight.

I live outside the edge of a rotten city with crime and drugs so rampant I can’t bring myself to go in to like a grocery store and let the bike out of my sight fearing a low life will steal it.
I was wondering.. the ones who do errands on their bike… do you lock it to a street post or something anchored to the earth that would take more than a few minutes to separate the bike from the fixture?
Or..do you just pull up, put it on the kick stand, and go on in about your business?
Get a good Lock and try not to be long in the store and yes, lock it to something else, preferably something that's close to the door and bolted to the ground

On my bike I have both 15mm keyed U and cable locks, My bike weighs close to a 100 lbs so it won't just be carried off by one person. I do secure to a fixed object if I can but I also put the U lock across the chain stays and through the spokes.

On my bike I have 2 very loud alarms, I also use a cellphone notifier and a tracking chip. Even then I don't leave my secured bike unattended any longer than I have to in public.

I'm willing to bet my city beats yours in per capita crime.
I own several bicycles, 1 of them motorized, and also a variety of locks.
At home, the MB is locked to the porch with a Kryptonite motorcycle lock which would be VERY hard to cut without power tools, on trips, I use a thick, heavy chain lock from Harbor Freight.
On my weekly milk run - can't buy raw milk within the city limits but heart disease and diabetes on every corner - I take an old, flimsy combination chain lock, like you would have used on a kids' bike 30 years ago, because it weighs a LOT less than the HF one and I only stop at a thrift shop and a health food store for a few minutes each on Saturday morning, pretty safe.
When I do have to go into sketchy areas or leave a bike outside for longer periods of time or after dark, I take a bike they're not likely to mess with, such as my KHS FF Sport 10-speed from the '70s - which I also never wash for precisely this purpose - or the Raleigh C40 'hybrid cross', which I got for free from a former neighbor.

I'm willing to bet my city beats yours in per capita crime.
I own several bicycles, 1 of them motorized, and also a variety of locks.
At home, the MB is locked to the porch with a Kryptonite motorcycle lock which would be VERY hard to cut without power tools, on trips, I use a thick, heavy chain lock from Harbor Freight.
On my weekly milk run - can't buy raw milk within the city limits but heart disease and diabetes on every corner - I take an old, flimsy combination chain lock, like you would have used on a kids' bike 30 years ago, because it weighs a LOT less than the HF one and I only stop at a thrift shop and a health food store for a few minutes each on Saturday morning, pretty safe.
When I do have to go into sketchy areas or leave a bike outside for longer periods of time or after dark, I take a bike they're not likely to mess with, such as my KHS FF Sport 10-speed from the '70s - which I also never wash for precisely this purpose - or the Raleigh C40 'hybrid cross', which I got for free from a former neighbor.
My bike comes into my house when I'm done with it for the day. Thieves watch potential valuables and learn schedules and wait for the opportunity to strike.

Back