Right On!

S

SJC

In my enthusiasm, I didn't read everything before posting to another area. I work for a local police department as a 911 operator and dispatcher. I had a call from a cat who wanted to know what the locals would think about him riding. I had no idea what he was talking about, so explained a short bit to me. Where have I been, that this idea has escaped me? I live 8 miles from work, and the first mile of is rather dangerous to pedal, but after that, it's a straight across the city into the next one. I used to ride it everyday until a scary experience with the side of a Ford F550. There's quite a bit that I don't know, how to get these disparate parts to work together, and questions I have. Looks as though I've got some reading...

Welcome.

I don't get in the intros much, but noticed we are getting quite a few folks either with police departments or lawyers....it's good to have members involved who will KNOW what this is about...

Just have to avoid the mess legislators in Canada made, because of those kids on pocket rockets...

I saw a Missouri story about the confusion a guy was having, (your opening sentence), can't find it this early a.m., so I'll just paste one from Oakland, Michigan.

Look forward to YOUR input SJC !!!

WEST BLOOMFIELD -- Sixty-eight miles of pathways that meander across West Bloomfield were designed to give residents a safe way to journey across the expansive suburb, known for its rich wetlands, woodlands and wildlife.

But instead of encountering critters and fresh air on their expedition, some residents say they fear for life and limb as teens barrel down the trails on motorized scooters, mopeds and skateboards.

Complaints to the township were serious enough this summer that the township board directed its attorneys to research what restrictions -- if any -- could be placed on the paths to make them safe for users.

Signs posted across the township clearly ban motorized vehicles on the path, which consists of pavement along roads and subdivisions and boardwalk across some of the more environmentally sensitive areas.

West Bloomfield Police patrol the safety paths on bicycles, but Lt. John Himmelspach said it's nearly impossible to chase down offenders who have a clear advantage on a motorized scooter, moped or skateboard.

"We try to enforce it, it's just more difficult to do so. We have written tickets in the past, but we usually just remind people they cannot use them," Himmelspach said. "It's usually the kids that aren't driving yet, the 12 to 15 crowd."

Limiting the use of motorized vehicles on the pathways has raised the concern of a physically disabled resident who drives a golf cart on the trails to make his way around the township.

Kerry Mayle says the problem is parents who let their teens run amok on the paths with their motorized toys. The township, Mayle says, should not further limit slow-moving vehicles like his.

"A disabled person... has the right to choose what may be the best possible type of transportation," Mayle said.

David Flaisher, township supervisor, said the township would comply with the Americans With Disabilities Act.

No injuries have been reported so far, but some people have said they had to jump out of the way of an offender or they would have gotten run over.

Bicyclist Linda King said she would have no problem sharing the path with mopeds and scooters if they went slow.

You can reach Jennifer Chambers at (248) 647-7402 or jchambers@detnews.com.

Last edited by a moderator:
we already sed howdy...i had a good chuckle when i saw your post. spunout chose a great color, eh? reminds me of the old general motors paints :cool:

i was wondering, how'd you find your way here?

Lots of digging around in the internet. I was talking with a guy on the phone, and he was explaining the differences between motorcycles, and motor driven bicycles and mopeds (still not completely clear on the subtleties), and I got to checking here and there, trying search engines with different combinations of words, and the traffic officer here suggested 'power-assist'. I'm struggling a little because I know less to nothing about machinery. I do like to ride, and the pictures I've seen are of just beautiful machines, even as I'm trying to understand the mechanics of it all. Even better is the no registration bit, I was pretty bitter about the whole register and pay taxes on a boat thing.

i think i can clear things up.

you choose a bicycle, you choose an engine or motor, you combine the 2 into something neither mopeds nor motorcycles can begin to challenge as far as overall riding experience. when built correctly, the ratio of motoredbike to adult rider, for both weight & size, is the most comfortable of all three "classes"...now that's just my opinion, but i think you'll agree as soon as you have some solid evidence.

How difficult is it to get started on this? I have been scrolling through pages upon pages of pictures of bicycles, and a little bit more on the engines. I like the idea of the middle of the frame mounting, the chain to the rear hub. I had someone try to explain a centrifugal clutch to me, and the engagement of the motor to the rear wheel; this all seems pretty complex when compared to the apparent simplicity of the photos. I like the idea of the 49cc motor, seems pretty straightforward, but I'm 6'3, 270lbs. Will it be strong enough?

Welcome to MBc. I am about your size and my Happy times can propell me at a comfortable 30MPH, It tops out at about 35.

keep reading...you already know about 49cc, are becoming familiar with rear sprockets, etc...it is as simple as it looks, if you pay attention to the (also usually simple) potential problems fixes and workarounds. you have the luxury of knowing about all this beforehand, whereas the people who've posted the info have bled, sweated, and cried to get thru those first few installs "in the dark"...now, all they can do is grin like fools everytime you ask 'em how it's going :D

so, keep reading (when you find an interesting topic, or need clarification, post a "reply" in that thread to get some help) til you feel the corners of your mouth start to curl up (it's called a smile) and then you'll know your own project is starting to take shape. :cool:

Welcome to the group. It's easier than it seems, plus you have lots of help here. Once you get finished, you'll say, wow that was pretty easy. Plus you'll have the thrill of riding somethig YOU built. It's a rush.

I'm one of those "fools" with a grin a mile wide.

Welcome neighbor. (I'm about 2 hours south of you....that's like 6 hours & a sore butt away, by motored bike!!:LOL:)

enjoy the forum!

Back