Rim brake slightly rubbing against tire on hard braking?

Local time
12:31 AM
So recently I've noticed under hard braking the front rim brake on my Kent Bayside creeps up and slightly rubs against the tire. It only occurs under extreme conditions. I have both pads at their lowest level on the arms so I can't adjust it anymore in that way.

Any tips? Is this normal? It really isn't an issue unless I slam on it so I'm tempted to ignore it.

It’s caused by the brake arms flexing, it shouldn’t cause a problem, just keep an eye on pad and tire wear.

Didnt somebody recently get hurt on forum cause of brake rubbing tire under hard braking conditions resulting in a hospitalization? Tire blew from brake rubbing sides of it I believe. You can build a U-shaped bracket to help aid in stiffening brake set. Or the sunlite bmx brake set might help cure that.

I have rear rim brakes. I had the same issue with the brake arm flexing with hard braking. I ran a tywrap thru the brake arm and around the bike frame on both sides to prevent over flexing. The tywrapped is just closed enough to stop the pad from walking up on to the tire. It seems to work fine given the circumstances. I know the true fix is disc brakes instead of rim brakes. I’ve been running my brake like this for months.

Attachments

• F23A93CA-1778-46B3-98BA-8323F8AD97FF.jpeg
    F23A93CA-1778-46B3-98BA-8323F8AD97FF.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 116
Rim brake pads should NEVER ride up on the tire. It will wear through the tire in no time and you'll have a blow out, ruin your day for shoo. Cheap metal stamped brakes have a lot of flex that doesn't stop you very well. You need solid cast or aluminum brake arms that do not flex. If the adjustment of your brake pads won't clear the tire at all you need a new set that will. Pads only fit properly one way. Are they installed with the curvature matching the wheel? Do the leading edges follow the direction of the wheel travel going forward?

Rim brake pads should NEVER ride up on the tire. It will wear through the tire in no time and you'll have a blow out, ruin your day for shoo. Cheap metal stamped brakes have a lot of flex that doesn't stop you very well. You need solid cast or aluminum brake arms that do not flex. If the adjustment of your brake pads won't clear the tire at all you need a new set that will. Pads only fit properly one way. Are they installed with the curvature matching the wheel? Do the leading edges follow the direction of the wheel travel going forward?
Nothing about the Kent Bayside is any good... It was constantly something...

Attachments

• IMG_20220502_114749889.jpg
    IMG_20220502_114749889.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 90
Back