Engine Trouble Ring or something

B

Bertsimon

I have been hearing a lot of noise inside of the motor when i run it. It sounds like a lot of metal pinging around in the motor. It doesn t run the greatest just makes a lot of noise. No power and cuts in and out. Then it just kills. I removed the spark plug to find a lot of junk on it like metal shavings. What did I wreck, did burn out a ring or something like that?

Metal shavings on the plug? You would hope it's just a ring, but it may be toast.

Tear it down immediately and see what you killed.

I also hear a small pinging noise coming from the main body of the engine somewhere, it doesn't affect power at all though. :???:

tech/mech is a VERY on-topic area...discussion of specific "original poster's" problem and possible solution only is what we're after in here.

i agree, metal shavings in the cylinder spells "tear it down."

Metal shavings can be residuals from the engine's manufacture...seen this bunch of times already. Best is to take a peak and flush out what you can and tell us what kind of metal it is and what it looks like.

I knew I had problems on my 150cc two stroke on my 30 year old golf cart because the shavings I discovered closely resembled bearing race material. Turns out the oil injection system failed and it was running on pure gas for a while.

I've seen a lot of metal shavings in model plane engines too, but that was BEFORE they were run. I think this is a little more serious.

Let us know what you find after you tear it down. You should be able to find the source of the contaminant without too much problem, even if you've never been inside an engine.

l had the same pinging sound for awhile, but it didn't effect power untill now. power cuts in and out, l opened the engine and found a broken ring which chewed up the piston head and the crank arm bushngs were toast. lm looking for a new bottom tyo fix. also, trying to rip the engine right down to see how it all comes apart, seeing as how l can't run it anymore.....thanks thatsdax

Yeah I know I have some work on my hands I havent had time yet to touch it. The noise sounded like when a fender vibrates but its not the chain fender and i dont have any fenders on the bike..It would be real noisy then quit then come back. then it would slow down and you could hear metal moving around like something was banging around. I dont get it one day its running perfect then the next day it is pretty much junk . Cause the day before this happen i took the carb apart and moved the clip on the needle down a slot. I changed the gas mixture to 40.1 ran like a champ all day and lots of power. I parked it then the next day I went for a ride and there was no power then it got loud then it went all down hil from there. I had to pedal it home also which was really far. Got so tried of pedaling i had to walk . So I get home and took the plug out and it was black and full of crud I looked deeper into the plug and there was little metal shavings in there and one was blocking the plug which explains why i couldnt get it to start again.so maybe this week i lll have some time to take it apart. I ll get back to you folks when i tear it apart. Thanks for the feedback.

have you ever greased the gears on the right side of your engine, under the cover plate?

Yes , and the gasket fell apart on me but I got some rtv stuff and sealed it back up. That was the second time I went in there and put some grease on those gears. They were dry to the bone the second also.

Back