Ring snag???

Fleagle101

Local time
8:51 AM
IMG_20230121_225952597.jpg

That's not ring snag. That's the result of a bunch of junk being in the crankcase and the exact reason I tore my Phantom apart and cleaned it all out before I ever ran it. Mine had a literal small handful of metal shavings in it. Does the damage catch a fingernail or have any feel to it? Some scoring is ok so long as it didn't gouge in very deep.

Sorry, I forgot to ask my question. Is this ring snag and what can be done to fix the problem and lastly, is this cylinder shot? It has a noticable flat on that chittering spot on the right. Thank you for any input.
It'll still run, just not as good as it should. If it was me, I'd junk it and get a new jug.

That's not ring snag. That's the result of a bunch of junk being in the crankcase and the exact reason I tore my Phantom apart and cleaned it all out before I ever ran it. Mine had a literal small handful of metal shavings in it. Does the damage catch a fingernail or have any feel to it? Some scoring is ok so long as it didn't gouge in very deep.
I'm just reaching the end of the break in period. Yes there is scoring that catches the fingernail. It is fairly deep. So I think that I'm going to go ahead and hone it out and maybe get some slightly larger (wider) rings and see if it runs. I figure the ceramic lining has been compromised so I'll smooth it out and hope that I don't need a bigger piston. I have another jug on the way so now it's time to experiment a little bit. Thank you guys for your input in this. And yes, when I get the new jug I'm going to take the edges off before I do anything else. Thanks again.

I'm just reaching the end of the break in period. Yes there is scoring that catches the fingernail. It is fairly deep. So I think that I'm going to go ahead and hone it out and maybe get some slightly larger (wider) rings and see if it runs. I figure the ceramic lining has been compromised so I'll smooth it out and hope that I don't need a bigger piston. I have another jug on the way so now it's time to experiment a little bit. Thank you guys for your input in this. And yes, when I get the new jug I'm going to take the edges off before I do anything else. Thanks again.
You may as well just warranty it if you can. These are ceramic lined so the hone process may not go all that well. You can definitely try though.

I figure the ceramic lining has been compromised so I'll smooth it out and hope that I don't need a bigger piston.
Forget trying to hone that out, once that lining is gone, you are down to bare, soft, aluminum, I would be surprised if it will run more than 15 minutes without a lining that you would have decided to hone out.

Back