Ring snag???

Fleagle101

Local time
7:07 PM
IMG_20230121_225952597.jpg

Forget trying to hone that out, once that lining is gone, you are down to bare, soft, aluminum, I would be surprised if it will run more than 15 minutes without a lining that you would have decided to hone out.
I did not know that. Is there any way to hard face it without adding a bunch of material to it?

Ceramic cylinder liners are applied to an engine bore by being sprayed on molten so that it bonds to the aluminum substrate. I don't know about you, but I don't have a 3000+ degree furnace and spray gun sitting around.

They are finish bored and honed before being delivered, which is why they do have cross hatching. In theory, they can be honed, but if the damage is deep enough, you don't have much material to work with. If the damage is to the aluminum underneath, it's toast.

Ceramic cylinder liners are applied to an engine bore by being sprayed on molten so that it bonds to the aluminum substrate. I don't know about you, but I don't have a 3000+ degree furnace and spray gun sitting around.

They are finish bored and honed before being delivered, which is why they do have cross hatching. In theory, they can be honed, but if the damage is deep enough, you don't have much material to work with. If the damage is to the aluminum underneath, it's toast.
He actually did a pretty good job of plating it. Works in the worlds most powerful 2 stroke. He tried to do a land speed record in Bonneville, but the flats were flooded. You don't always have to do things the industrial way, their were other ways that lead up to the molten spray ( mainly about cost, it's cheaper than the way in the video, plus you need a bunch of fancy permits to mess with electroplating in a business setting).

He actually did a pretty good job of plating it. Works in the worlds most powerful 2 stroke. He tried to do a land speed record in Bonneville, but the flats were flooded. You don't always have to do things the industrial way, their were other ways that lead up to the molten spray ( mainly about cost, it's cheaper than the way in the video, plus you need a bunch of fancy permits to mess with electroplating in a business setting).
Yeah, and at the end of the day the average person doesn’t care to mess around with it. Just cheaper and easier to get a new cylinder. Now if it is a custom deal, or a rare engine that you can't get parts for, sure.

Me, personally, I would probably just bore the cylinder out, press in a steel sleeve, and machine out the port holes to match. Also a lot of work, sure, but work I can do at home, or have done by most machine shops.

Plus, a steel sleeve will last for ages to come.

Back