RIP motor bike

Or...... seems you're young enough, just ride a good pedal bicycle, not much to go wrong with. I'm in my 60's and ride 5-6 miles a day for exercise on my hybrid bike. You'll get in really good shape and save money:)

Well I'm seeing lots of people even in this forum saying 30 mi is nothing for a bike but I did have that thought the back of my head that maybe a motor just can't do that every day.

I'm definitely down to get a scooter or a moped as well. I'm not some kind of elitist but currently have been dealing with $60 here and $40 there and I don't want to become a big political post but after I pay my rent on a single wide one bedroom trailer have to size of the one that my baby mama and ex fiance kicked me out of that has my name on it. I barely have money to pay for the electric bill and put gas in my van that I drive every day and I did get a female friend to move in and help with bills thinking that was going to be great and I don't what 401k money I had into a vehicle that did not work out trying to save it by putting another motor in it.. Long story short, don't buy a Mercedes Benz smart for two.

I have a 2003 Nissan Maxima that I believe has a motor that failed. I pulled it from a junkyard and did a timing chain replacement and had it running good for about 2 months and then it did a full hard stop on me. Unfortunately I just can't afford hundreds of dollars to put into something right now and I don't have a place to do the work. I had to rent a stall at the local army base which required towing the first go around and I just can't afford all of that this time around. There's just no spare money left nowadays.

It may have a lot to do with the fact that my motors are coming off of Amazon because I hear people saying get a. Phantom which to my understanding can be bought at like an dedicated website.

Honestly, I had tried to find maybe a two piston motor so that it was a bit more even and had maybe slightly more power but I can't find one of those things anywhere. I don't know that they exist.

I do apologize for the wall of text and I appreciate everyone that's read the whole thing for me. Ultimately, it came down to a financial move to try to rescue us ourselves that having something extremely cheap to hold me through till taxes came in and it just seemed like a light at the end of the tunnel these come across as a very amazing machine.
I think most of us can relate to where you are. I've been there a couple of times in my life, and you feel powerless and trapped. The smallest bit of independence has a huge impact on you psychologically, so the potential bit of freedom a MB can offer is very tempting for people in that position.

The issue is there are too many companies and individuals all out there to sell you a big pile of dog dirt painted to look like the answer to your prayers, hopes, and dreams. To say that they "stretch" the truth is putting it lightly. They are there ready and waiting to prey on your emotions and wallet.

Now, here you will just find opinions and experience. Most people here, if not all, aren't selling anything and are just handing out experience and lessons learned. Sift through some the the quirky personalities and more gruff and direct people (me being one) and you will discover a lot of wisdom.

It is entirely possible to make one of these bikes reliable. Are you willing to put in the work? It can also be done relatively cheaply, but relative is also a key word. It's not hard to spend upwards of a grand building a MB, and $600-800 is a realistic budget for a proper "budget" build if you are starting with nothing.

Maybe a few people will chime in how to do it cheaper, and I would welcome their responses. I try to stick to a budget, but I do so willingly as I work a good job and have disposable income. A few people Here are living on limited/fixed incomes and have to wheel and deal to get by. Those are the folks to talk to.

I think most of us can relate to where you are. I've been there a couple of times in my life, and you feel powerless and trapped. The smallest bit of independence has a huge impact on you psychologically, so the potential bit of freedom a MB can offer is very tempting for people in that position.

The issue is there are too many companies and individuals all out there to sell you a big pile of dog dirt painted to look like the answer to your prayers, hopes, and dreams. To say that they "stretch" the truth is putting it lightly. They are there ready and waiting to prey on your emotions and wallet.

Now, here you will just find opinions and experience. Most people here, if not all, aren't selling anything and are just handing out experience and lessons learned. Sift through some the the quirky personalities and more gruff and direct people (me being one) and you will discover a lot of wisdom.

It is entirely possible to make one of these bikes reliable. Are you willing to put in the work? It can also be done relatively cheaply, but relative is also a key word. It's not hard to spend upwards of a grand building a MB, and $600-800 is a realistic budget for a proper "budget" build if you are starting with nothing.

Maybe a few people will chime in how to do it cheaper, and I would welcome their responses. I try to stick to a budget, but I do so willingly as I work a good job and have disposable income. A few people Here are living on limited/fixed incomes and have to wheel and deal to get by. Those are the folks to talk to.
Solid rational thinking there.

To illustrate my own situation, I am no means an expert on these little motors but I have a life time of working on various bikes, cars and building things in general.

Through this experience, I've had the good fortune to have accumulated a good selection of tools and materials, so with all this, it has taken me way longer and cost way more than I thought and with increasing knowledge of how these things should work, I have made costly mistakes that have resulted in a less than ideal end result. Over all I am happy with the out come, but I don't really have to rely on this to get my butt to work on time.

If someone comes to this with limited skills, tools and materials, the idea of whipping up something that is going to be reliable and cheap is dreaming.

I don't mean to be harsh or Debbie Downer but that is my perspective on the state of reality as I see it.

As I said earlier, a small motorcycle is your best bet for reliable transportation.

Honda Navi: the msrp is $1807.

Getting an M endorsement is pretty easy should you have the weekend to give up.

I have a Biltwell Gringo, its an ECE 5 rated helmet, cost me $179 before tax with free shipping. I also have a pair of Five RS3 gloves. Cost me $40.

Back to the bike: top speed in the high 40s, great little locker, cvt so just twist and go. Drum brakes front and rear but its very light weight. Comes with a carburetor stock, but unless you're storing it for months at a time it wont be a problem.

I do appreciate the kind words. Been offline for a while, feeling a bit helpless.
That's one of those things where it actually feels like you did pay attention to what I said and you understand that it's not necessarily about the bike for me. Although I have seen a number of YouTube videos now where people have built some truly beautiful bikes, I just don't have that money at the moment. I have potential to have it in the future, but things are hard because we're not talking. Luxuries at the moment.
If I'm solidly honest, I'm paying child support to a lady who thinks that every time the groceries and the grocery store go up 10 cents. My child support needs to go up 100 dollars then I've managed to mess up because I've spent 2 years deeply in love with a woman who has college degrees and seems like a real go-getter only to discover that she suffers from immune deficiencies and just can't stay at work anywhere employed long enough to really be beneficial to the household
..., and then my mother is battling cancer four towns over.
There's a lot of things going on that I never really felt were all that important to say but I definitely need a vehicle and I definitely need one really cheap. I know one guy is saying a motorbike but that requires going out spending the money to take the tests and getting the license to to be legally allowed to ride one and then you have to add it to your insurance and that's even if you can find one at a good price. Right now all vehicles are at a stupid, insane price. If I actually had $10,000 I have seen a completely redone 1960s K10 pickup truck with a brand new motor transmission LED lights and it's cheaper than going out and getting something with credit now but I don't have credit anymore. Last time I lost my job I emptied my 401k to pay for a motor rebuild in the smart car that I was paying on and I lost all of my 401k money on the smart car and then had to let the smart car go. I have been a real idiot. I definitely feel trapped and I don't feel like it's something I need to go to a therapist for because I genuinely can't justify the money to go and tell someone how I feel.
So I want to genuinely tell you that it really does mean something to know someone understands where I'm coming from.
I would guarantee my life that I will make three or four of these in the future. That will be reliable but only because I am so tired of vehicles failing me and it would not be out of the question to have a number of small bikes laying around to use me. And the girlfriend have even discussed once we have a third vehicle and we fix the second vehicle going ahead biting the bullet and getting two mopeds as well.

I know this is all about motorbikes so onward to actually replying to you about motorbikes. I definitely bought extremely cheap motors that don't seem to have some kind of name. I'm hearing a lot of talk of something called a y d 100 and a few other names but when I see them in videos they all look like the exact same frame, body mold and all.... I guess I'm having a hard time determining what characteristics make them better than the others.
Then I will most definitely express that. Apparently I have learned that there is a term for the kind of motor I bought China doll.
I bought all four of the motors on Amazon and I finally bit the bullet and bought one from bikeberry. I'm hearing you apparently have to be very careful buying things from them but I have gotten it in. It's still in the box upon opening the box. The entire kit actually looked the exact same as the one that came from Amazon so I haven't bothered putting it on. I've had it sitting in the shop for 2 days.
With that said, I definitely agree. These bikes look like an answered prayer. I have a hard time wondering how many people that have lost their license might have turned to these to get a little bit of their freedom back.
As I stated I may or may not have stated that I was riding mine home in 40° weather and even in pouring rain which might not be good for the motor. But when you can get your hands on something, this is cheap. It is really hard to tell yourself no.
With all the doodads and trinkets on it, it looks really nice I guess I can try putting the new motor on if anyone thinks it'll be worth the try.

Attachments

• PXL_20231109_042038211.jpg
    PXL_20231109_042038211.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 43
From all that stream of consciousness writing. Yes indeed you can take a cheepeo motor and make it have good service.
As others have said, made sure the crank case doesn't have chips in it and check that there are no casting burrs that will catch the rings, oil it up and hope for the best. Try 20 or 25 to one at the beginning, take it easy at first, then switch to 30 to 1 and it should last a while if the Chinese gods of industry are shining on you.

Don't forget to check the cylinder head bolts after it has cooled. Don't get gorilla on them just check them for snug after every ride.

I would like to say that I hope your world settles down for you soon. People do care and wish the best.

I do appreciate the kind words. Been offline for a while, feeling a bit helpless.
That's one of those things where it actually feels like you did pay attention to what I said and you understand that it's not necessarily about the bike for me. Although I have seen a number of YouTube videos now where people have built some truly beautiful bikes, I just don't have that money at the moment. I have potential to have it in the future, but things are hard because we're not talking. Luxuries at the moment.
If I'm solidly honest, I'm paying child support to a lady who thinks that every time the groceries and the grocery store go up 10 cents. My child support needs to go up 100 dollars then I've managed to mess up because I've spent 2 years deeply in love with a woman who has college degrees and seems like a real go-getter only to discover that she suffers from immune deficiencies and just can't stay at work anywhere employed long enough to really be beneficial to the household
..., and then my mother is battling cancer four towns over.
There's a lot of things going on that I never really felt were all that important to say but I definitely need a vehicle and I definitely need one really cheap. I know one guy is saying a motorbike but that requires going out spending the money to take the tests and getting the license to to be legally allowed to ride one and then you have to add it to your insurance and that's even if you can find one at a good price. Right now all vehicles are at a stupid, insane price. If I actually had $10,000 I have seen a completely redone 1960s K10 pickup truck with a brand new motor transmission LED lights and it's cheaper than going out and getting something with credit now but I don't have credit anymore. Last time I lost my job I emptied my 401k to pay for a motor rebuild in the smart car that I was paying on and I lost all of my 401k money on the smart car and then had to let the smart car go. I have been a real idiot. I definitely feel trapped and I don't feel like it's something I need to go to a therapist for because I genuinely can't justify the money to go and tell someone how I feel.
So I want to genuinely tell you that it really does mean something to know someone understands where I'm coming from.
I would guarantee my life that I will make three or four of these in the future. That will be reliable but only because I am so tired of vehicles failing me and it would not be out of the question to have a number of small bikes laying around to use me. And the girlfriend have even discussed once we have a third vehicle and we fix the second vehicle going ahead biting the bullet and getting two mopeds as well.

I know this is all about motorbikes so onward to actually replying to you about motorbikes. I definitely bought extremely cheap motors that don't seem to have some kind of name. I'm hearing a lot of talk of something called a y d 100 and a few other names but when I see them in videos they all look like the exact same frame, body mold and all.... I guess I'm having a hard time determining what characteristics make them better than the others.
Then I will most definitely express that. Apparently I have learned that there is a term for the kind of motor I bought China doll.
I bought all four of the motors on Amazon and I finally bit the bullet and bought one from bikeberry. I'm hearing you apparently have to be very careful buying things from them but I have gotten it in. It's still in the box upon opening the box. The entire kit actually looked the exact same as the one that came from Amazon so I haven't bothered putting it on. I've had it sitting in the shop for 2 days.
With that said, I definitely agree. These bikes look like an answered prayer. I have a hard time wondering how many people that have lost their license might have turned to these to get a little bit of their freedom back.
As I stated I may or may not have stated that I was riding mine home in 40° weather and even in pouring rain which might not be good for the motor. But when you can get your hands on something, this is cheap. It is really hard to tell yourself no.
With all the doodads and trinkets on it, it looks really nice I guess I can try putting the new motor on if anyone thinks it'll be worth the try.
That is a nice looking set up you have.

That engine you have there is also a YD100 based engine (80cc). Not a bad engine really. Very torquey, but the design doesn't lend itself to "high speed" and ends up being about as fast as most typical "80" engines (66cc). It's mostly in the port designs and low compression.

On the plus side, if you get one running good, they can still reach 30-35mph (26" tire with a 44 tooth sprocket at 7000 to 8000rpm) without much trouble and are decent at maintaining good running temps cruising along at 25ish mph. I have had a couple of them, including my last bike before I got my Phantom 85, and with an MZ65 pipe and some mild port work and playing with the squish gap a bit I had that thing topping out at 40mph and it could cruise 30mph all day long. (28" diameter 700C tire setup with a 40 tooth sprocket.)

If you have any questions, don't ever be afraid to ask them. Nobody here will mock you or insult you for not knowing something, and if they do just report them so myself or @DAMIEN1307 can slap them with the moderator hammer upside the head.

Heck, if you need to get a load off and just vent your frustrations away, make a post in off topic or if you want message me and I will try to listen. I've had multiple rounds of going from the top of the world to having my entire life ripped out from under me. I know exactly where you are right now. Keep fighting, keep trying, and do what you have to do to build your future. Focus on yourself, first and foremost. You won't be any good to anybody if you can't keep yourself in a good mental state and physical health.

As for that new engine you have, we can definitely give you some assembly advice to help try and get more life out of it. Robe already laid out the basics of what most of us do with new engines.

Definitely try to flush/clean out the crank case. Small metal particles are the number one destroyer of bearings and cylinder coatings, and these engines tend to be full of them.

I like to use mineral spirits (just pour through a coffee filter in a funnel back into the jug it came out of.) but others will use pre-mix gas, which helps also pre-oil the bearings a bit. I use a dropper to put oil on the bearings before I do my final assembly - or if I tore it down a mix of petroleum jelly and 2 stroke oil as an assembly lube. To each their own.

Back