Ripped my cassette apart

Urban Fatbiker

Local time
3:27 AM
20221117_134921.jpg

Grrr. Nice day for a walk of shame. I was offroad climbing a rutted hill, the large cog folded out ripped in half tore chain apart.

I passed this sign pushing home🤬

I might have damaged that cassette a few weeks ago popping over a hill. Or the day I blew the second jug.

Meh. Murphy got me again. I had both chain and cassette on shopping list figured it was good a while longer. It got a lot of abuse.

I'll take suggestions.
Best 7-speed chain?
Toughest 11-28 or 32 7-speed cassette?

View attachment 182938

Grrr. Nice day for a walk of shame. I was offroad climbing a rutted hill, the large cog folded out ripped in half tore chain apart.

I might have damaged that cassette a few weeks ago popping over a hill. Or the day I blew the second jug.

Meh. Murphy got me again. I had both chain and cassette on shopping list figured it was good a while longer. It got a lot of abuse.

I'll take suggestions.
Best 7-speed chain?
Is it a 7 speed cassette or a 7 speed threaded freewheel.

Its a cassette, the wheel has a freehub.

I figured out my dumbass. I forgot I screwed that chain months ago, patched it back, ordered a replacement.
Layed it on the table.

Then, rode my fatbike for a couple months and forgot about it.
Yep.
Another dumbass walks home.

Its a cassette, the wheel has a freehub.

I figured out my dumbass. I forgot I screwed that chain months ago, patched it back, ordered a replacement.
Layed it on the table.

Then, rode my fatbike for a couple months and forgot about it.
Yep.
Another dumbass walks home.
Ok that's what I was needing to know. If (DRIFT MANIAC) or (DNP EPOCH) makes a cassette you might check them brands out. I've had real good luck with their 7 speed freewheels.

View attachment 182938

I'll take suggestions.
Best 7-speed chain?
Shimano HG71 for the Chain and SRAM PG 730 for the cassette.

freewheels are tougher than casettes, i stripped/sheared the aluminum star drive off a rim, almost at the same time the ratchet broke.
You can buy steel cassette cog clusters and you can buy cassette hubs with steel splines. The cassette was invented because freewheel axles are prone to bending.

Since the ratchet mechanism broke that means too much torque was being applied too quickly while under too big of a load. Example: Going up too steep of a hill while in too high of a gear ratio.

Back