Ripped my cassette apart

You can buy steel cassette cog clusters and you can buy cassette hubs with steel splines. The cassette was invented because freewheel axles are prone to bending.

Since the ratchet mechanism broke that means too much torque was being applied too quickly while under too big of a load. Example: Going up too steep of a hill while in too high of a gear ratio.
or shock loads break em. ripping gears, or holeshots without "setting the ratchet"
my 5hp briggs with a giant gear reduction wont break em by shear torque, you make more torque standing on pedals 150lb dummy on 1 foot lever.

or shock loads break em. ripping gears, or holeshots without "setting the ratchet"
my 5hp briggs with a giant gear reduction wont break em by shear torque, you make more torque standing on pedals 150lb dummy on 1 foot lever.
Sorry, but you don't make more torque than a 5 hp Briggs with a large gear reduction by standing on pedals and meshing them. Nor do you apply that torque at the speed an engine can apply it. When it comes to larger engines 149cc+ on a shifter bike, bicycle components (freewheel, cassette, IGH) often are inadequate to handle the stresses these engines can put on them. For larger engines, a better multi-speed transmission would be something like what Giraffee_Beer made.

Thread 'Ask Me Anything - Homemade 3 Speed Transmission' https://motoredbikes.com/threads/ask-me-anything-homemade-3-speed-transmission.61971/

In the case of the OP, the large cog folded. I once had the same thing happen with a DNP 8-speed 34-11 freewheel. SRAM tends to use very strong metals in its components.

Sorry, but you don't make more torque than a 5 hp Briggs with a large gear reduction by standing on pedals and meshing them. Nor do you apply that torque at the speed an engine can apply it. When it comes to larger engines 149cc+ on a shifter bike, bicycle components (freewheel, cassette, IGH) often are inadequate to handle the stresses these engines can put on them. For larger engines, a better multi-speed transmission would be something like what Giraffee_Beer made.

Thread 'Ask Me Anything - Homemade 3 Speed Transmission' https://motoredbikes.com/threads/ask-me-anything-homemade-3-speed-transmission.61971/

In the case of the OP, the large cog folded. I once had the same thing happen with a DNP 8-speed 34-11 freewheel. SRAM tends to use very strong metals in its components.
thats what i meant, i make like 65 ish ft lbsw/briggs , and 150+ standing on pedals.

I ordered with a 32t, but I’m thinking of getting another with 28t. This one was a shimano HG too. Maybe that will be a bit stronger.

I think I’ll still have enough grunt where I need it, it’s not just a 48cc busting them up.
😂

Back