Road debris flats an issue, Slime tubes?

Perhaps not a physical way, but if you always carry a complete spare wheelset, with four extra tyres, and three pairs of slime tubes, and two full size track pumps, then fate will laugh in your face again by having you never need to use those items. :rolleyes:
So instead fate will piss on my engine then, huh?

Perhaps not a physical way, but if you always carry a complete spare wheelset, with four extra tyres, and three pairs of slime tubes, and two full size track pumps, then fate will laugh in your face again by having you never need to use those items. :rolleyes:

So true Furry.
I was carrying a spare when I hit a piece of iron trash that cut a 4" flap out of my enduro front tire. No tube is gonna seal that.
I actually carry the little plastic bicycle tire irons for changing the motorcycle tubes in the woods.
Lightweight and small to carry, they work pretty good. Park Tool or Bell, I forget which.
For in the shop I made a motorcycle tire spoon that will fold under and clip to a spoke.
Don't need a 3rd hand to keep from chasing around the rim anymore.

So true Furry.
I was carrying a spare when I hit a piece of iron trash that cut a 4" flap out of my enduro front tire. No tube is gonna seal that.
I actually carry the little plastic bicycle tire irons for changing the motorcycle tubes in the woods.
Lightweight and small to carry, they work pretty good. Park Tool or Bell, I forget which.
For in the shop I made a motorcycle tire spoon that will fold under and clip to a spoke.
Don't need a 3rd hand to keep from chasing around the rim anymore.
Metal tyre levers (with some PVC electrical tape to protect your aluminium/painted rims) are a really good idea for the no-longer-weight-conscious MBer!
I have a pair made from fork handles, but they're just the wrong size for hooking the spokes on anything other than 20" bmx wheels.
I do break my plastic levers quite regularly, even on the larger wheel sizes I use now. Lucky they always come in threes so there's a spare. Though I am sure I could break less by being more careful with them, by pushing the tyre bead to the centreline of the rim where there is a little bit more slack.

I have picked up road debris twice since motorizing my bicycle and am wondering if anyone has real world experience with Slime brand tubes. Are they capable of preventing flats?

I have been biking as a main mode of transportation to keep my finances tight since March of this year and have had not one flat until I added my motor to my bike. I am wondering if traveling faster with the engine has made my tires more vulnerable to road debris as well. I had one rear tire flat due to a nail and one front tire flat tonight that was caused by a piece of wire.

Get tire liners. I live in the high desert and have a huge problem with goat heads. Haven't had a problem since. Best investment I ever made.

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Tuffy-Bicycle-Tire-Liner/dp/B075M9N45F

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
That Amazon review would really look out of place to anyone not in this circle lol...

those are some stellar reviews. this is probably most useful for folks that ride on a lot of unknown roads. for me, i go like only one or two routes so have been okay with stock tires at high psi thus far.

those are some stellar reviews. this is probably most useful for folks that ride on a lot of unknown roads. for me, i go like only one or two routes so have been okay with stock tires at high psi thus far.
The one person went to switch tires and found a piece of wire embedded in the tire and liner, it didn't make it through to the tube so that's pretty good for what it is.

Funny how he and others seem to have no issue with goat heads but one person did, fluke I guess.

best way to avoid road debris is to stay off the shoulder. that's where most of the crap ends up. I use 24 inch michelin tubes stretched out to 26 inches to cut down on rolling weight and never have any problems.

I slime my tires and have never had a problem, but i ride in the street.
I had kevlar liners 20 years ago when i was a bike messenger in San Francisco and they worked great.

recently i picked up this groovy little "army knife" and pack, now it goes with me whenever i ride. it has wrenches, allen wrenches, phillips driver, spoke wrenches, tire spoons, and a patch kit.

i added the adjustable crescent wrench and small phillips, which all fit in the pack (sort of)

I agree, Frnk n Furry, planning for any contingency seems to make the need almost never arise...
2017-10-08 21.31.01.jpg
2017-10-08 21.32.26.jpg

Back