Robert has belt drive kits now

Unless you go with serpentine the V-belt drive pulley has to be about 3" other wise you get slippage. Like Whizzer they have around 2.5 to 6 then 2.5 or 3 to rim 15". 5 grove serpentine is 3/4" wide, and is the same as 5 V-belts, so almost impossible to slip. What is sad the only pulleys you can get are car size. I am doing a alternator pulley on jack shaft, with a 24" bike rim on rear wheel.
1546571596114.png

1546571679260.png

used tapered strap hinges bent to attach pulley to rim............Curt

so with belts, pulley diameter to figure ratio but is it outer diam or at bottom of the groove?

v belt pulleys are cheap,, you know riding lawn mowers have em. yeah some slippage tho

With V-belts to figure ratio I think you measure somewhere in between the outer diameter and the bottom of the groove because it's the sides of the belt that come into contact with the pulley. I believe if you have a 2 inch pulley driving a 5 inch pulley the reduction ratio will be about 2.6 or 2.7 to 1. Am I right about this?

Last edited:
With V-belts to figure ratio I think you measure somewhere in between the outer diameter and the bottom of the groove because it's the sides of the belt that come into contact with the pulley. I believe if you have a 2 and a half inch pulley driving a 5 inch pulley the reduction ratio will be about 2.6 or 2.7 to 1. Am I right about this?
Depends on the pulleys new A pulley 1/2" and new A belt the belt will actually stick up above the pulley a tad. ..........Curt

Yes I think I'm going into too much detail. Not a big difference: If someone has a top speed of 30 mph with a 2 and a half to 1 reduction ratio then with a 2.6 or 2.7 to 1 ratio the top speed would be 29 or 28 mph respectively. If there was more difference between the size of the pulleys say a 10:1 reduction ratio then there would be a greater difference in figuring out the speed. Although I think you're right I might be splitting hairs.

Last edited:
Back