Robin-Subaru... better airflow

M

moped-dan

Well today I took off the air filter cover on my robin subaru.. I cant believe the engine gets enough air through that cover it just seems so restrictive with only those small holes. I then rode the bike without the cover, and left only the thin black sponge in place to prevent dirt and stuff from getting the engine. I secured the sponge with a little tape around the edges so it wouldnt fall off.

Anyways the engine seems to have more power now. Not a lot.... but enough to be noticeable. It seems to keep more speed against a headwind or a hill. It is a little louder now as well.

Does anyone know if this could damage the engine somehow? I think ill go for a long ride tomorrow and see what happens :driving:

you can seize your engine up!:eek:
because there is more flow, air can get in easier so less vaccum will be avaliable to suck the fuel up the carb. jets
its not so typical in a 4 stroke but it happens sometimes and belive me its not nice to see a hole in the top of a piston when you are a fair few miles from home:eek:
Engines normally run much better and give much more power when they run leaner(until you make a hole on the piston)
good luck with you ride and last thing, Its noisier because you can hear the intake valve open and the piston sucking the fuel/air in, its a tipical mod. that boy racers do to their cars and mopeds to make it intake sound louder hahahahhaha :D

Well I went for a ~40 mile ride yesterday and the engine didnt blow up :eek: Everything went good and today I went for a few miles after dinner.

It seems to be doing fine but I really dont want to sieze the engine up or anything, is there any way to tell if im running too lean? Thanks G-superior!

Just drill a few holes in the outer air filter cover if you think it needs more air....it'll save you from loosing the filter element. Personally I don't find the EHO35s need it though.

Just drill a few holes in the outer air filter cover if you think it needs more air....it'll save you from loosing the filter element. Personally I don't find the EHO35s need it though.

I agree... not enough to risk sacrificing reliability anyways.

thats true :rolleyes:
you dont want to ruin a perfect very reliable japanese made engine(if it was a cheap chinese one you could:whistle:)
a mini moto velocity stack will probably fit it! and you can even use a K&N filter whick is better looking and works better for what you are doing:D
I would not drill holes in an expensive air filter cover just for high flow, just get a cheap one of ebay or something like that(a K&N is only a few $) :D
G-Superior

On one of my Robins I discarded the white filter and run only the black foam element with the stock cover. It seems to work fine. The stock cover allows plenty of air, it sucks air in through the bottom holes, which are much larger than the intake valve opening. Clean the filter element often and it will be fine.

Back