Robin - Subaru EHO35 / Diamond Back Project

This is a project my wife got me started on. Well almost. She showed me a photo of a Vespa type motor scooter and said why don't we get one instead of another car. So I said that would be good and thought of a Whizzer. Then after joining here and studying up I decided to bid on a bike at eBay and buy a kit for it. The photo is of the bike I ordered and received.

A Staton inside drive kit is coming my way now. I decided to get a kit so I could make use of their proven solutions for problems I may not even know about yet. I should get the kit tomorrow and start a frame modification to install it.

I have ordered some 4130 Cro Moly 1/2 inch .049 wall thickness tubing. I will build a rack of this to hold the motor and make a lighter and stronger mount this way. I will post pics as I go.

Do any of you experienced builders see a problem with this type of install? I have built complete frames in the past so feel confident that my skills are up to the challenge. I will filit braze the rack on using low temp brazing rod. I just like to be forewarned about challenges and plan solutions as I go.

Attachments

• db1.jpg
    db1.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 1,250
Progress

Here are photos of my work last week on the bike. As you can see I have attached the beginning of a rack to the seat stays at a fairly high place. The main tubes are carbon fiber wrapped so I kept the brazing points a little lower. I am almost done with the work and hope to get it on the road today. Then I will take some more pics and repost. This is fun but not a simple build as I have never done it before with a motor and second chain involved in the mix.

I have added 3 photos from today that show the frame as it stands but without the motor and gearbox. I may not get the photos of the complete bike till next week. I will ride for a month or so before I take it all apart and paint. It is a work in progress.

Attachments

• mb_db1.jpg
    mb_db1.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 591
  • mb_db2.jpg
    mb_db2.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 602
  • mb_db3.JPG
    mb_db3.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 590
  • mb_db4.JPG
    mb_db4.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 702
  • mb_db5.JPG
    mb_db5.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 577
Last edited:
Whats the rack going to be used for? Is it going to rise above the staton inside drive and engine or is it a replacement for some of statons rack? I can say from experience statons rack is heavy duty and shouldn't need to be replaced unless you're going for something special.

I got it going except for a kill switch. Seems to be defective or I am. The rack is to hold the motor and gear box in place stronger and lighter than the Staton one. More photos coming. I got to ride it a little and get a switch and a kickstand now.

I'm also building on a staton inside drive---not as far along as you.The inside drive does require a bit more work as the standard mount is not really made for it.I too built a rack to hold the gearbox and motor.I felt the overall balance would be better with the kit centered,that's the reason I went with the inside drive.Looking forward to your new photos---sam

I hope to get the photos up tomorrow of the bike as it sits now. I rode for 45 minutes today about half on canal banks and grinned a lot. At max I am going about 25 and feel great. I can pedal that fast for short bursts, and add a lot of power on climbs. In about 100 miles I have learned some and really am glad I got this bike and motor combo. The rack is solid and the motor drive-train is solid. The brakes work well and the gears shift well so I can assist the starts. All this adds up to a dependable piece of transportation.

More pics

Here it is with a motor and over 100 miles on it. I love riding it

Attachments

• md_db6.JPG
    md_db6.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 809
  • md_db8.JPG
    md_db8.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 675
  • md_db7.JPG
    md_db7.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 720