robin subaru engine trouble

These are great little engines, I've had more than a half dozen.
ROFL!
If they're so good, why did you need more than 6 of 'em?
Sorry, just had to go there, and completely TIC (or tongue in cheek; or is that TDC???) Sorry again, I came back to this post and there were just too many openings, please forgive. TDC; A simple, common term, us 'seasoned' guys know, but, go easy on the kid! My son just rebuilt/upgraded the engine in his sports car so he can race it. He's 25. When he was 15 (which doesn't seem THAT long ago) I had to show him where to check and add the oil.

Seriously, the Subaru IS a great engine. But Hap definitely has a handle on this. My last post, I didn't have all the facts. Like the storage deal. Obviously the valve lash didn't change while in storage. Fuel system needs a full going over and not JUST fresh fuel. Gum/tarnish that forms from ANY fuel in the system will screw you over. Like mentioned, add in the variable of modern fuel additives, and who knows what you've got in the system.
Auto parts stores carry combustion chamber cleaner. You could try running some through the system like suggested (watch the ratios;do the math).
Spark plug, EH? Was the old one worn to a frazzel? If not, clean and re-gap it. Although, short term (while you wait for the proper replacement) I don't think the heat range is your problem. Don't leave it in too long though. You could damage the engine.

Old Bob's idea...maybe yes/maybe no. Like I said, we are still finding out things about fuel-O-hol and this may be a problem depending on the age of your engine. Mine is about a year old; been run on nothing but 10% corn squeezin's and no fuel related problems, even after sitting idle for a couple of months awaiting new life in my bomb.
Suggestion tho...the can you use to fetch gas for your bike...ALWAYS add STA-BIL or similar. ALWAYS! And that goes for ANY gas you might keep for more than a couple of weeks. Heck! Since I've been using my bike for work more, and filling my truck less, I even add it to my tank for my truck. 15+ year old lawn equipment still going strong and 'I BELIEVE'!
NOW, Hap, and any others...REALLY! Reluctant to...
...C'mon. Give the kid a break. After all, isn't that what we're here for? It's a FORUM! ALWAYS give your 2 cents worth if you think it MIGHT help. If there's a question...give a disclaimer with your response. But for those NOT in the know... Let's walk 'em through it...that's how we all learn. The obvious to some, may be obscure to others. HV, ya softy! Even tho you said you were 'reluctant'...Ya gave anyway! KUDOS! Keep it comin'.

OK, I'm done for now. I have another post to respond to. Sorry about being so windy.
Later
WC

Last edited:
I'm sure he is going to get this running right....100% certain.

But I'm going to put my $10 wager on the fuel, and if there is a small engine repair place nearby, the owner will tell you how ethanol is the biggest/latest source of problems.

The repair shops aren't complaining, but it is upping business by 50%, because of that drying out the carby internals.

ROFL!
If they're so good, why did you need more than 6 of 'em?
Sorry, just had to go there, and completely TIC (or tongue in cheek; or is that TDC???) Sorry again, I came back to this post and there were just too many openings, please forgive. TDC; A simple, common term, us 'seasoned' guys know, but, go easy on the kid! My son just rebuilt/upgraded the engine in his sports car so he can race it. He's 25. When he was 15 (which doesn't seem THAT long ago) I had to show him where to check and add the oil.

Seriously, the Subaru IS a great engine. But Hap definitely has a handle on this. My last post, I didn't have all the facts. Like the storage deal. Obviously the valve lash didn't change while in storage. Fuel system needs a full going over and not JUST fresh fuel. Gum/tarnish that forms from ANY fuel in the system will screw you over. Like mentioned, add in the variable of modern fuel additives, and who knows what you've got in the system.
Auto parts stores carry combustion chamber cleaner. You could try running some through the system like suggested (watch the ratios;do the math).
Spark plug, EH? Was the old one worn to a frazzel? If not, clean and re-gap it. Although, short term (while you wait for the proper replacement) I don't think the heat range is your problem. Don't leave it in too long though. You could damage the engine.

Old Bob's idea...maybe yes/maybe no. Like I said, we are still finding out things about fuel-O-hol and this may be a problem depending on the age of your engine. Mine is about a year old; been run on nothing but 10% corn squeezin's and no fuel related problems, even after sitting idle for a couple of months awaiting new life in my bomb.
Suggestion tho...the can you use to fetch gas for your bike...ALWAYS add STA-BIL or similar. ALWAYS! And that goes for ANY gas you might keep for more than a couple of weeks. Heck! Since I've been using my bike for work more, and filling my truck less, I even add it to my tank for my truck. 15+ year old lawn equipment still going strong and 'I BELIEVE'!
NOW, Hap, and any others...REALLY! Reluctant to...
...C'mon. Give the kid a break. After all, isn't that what we're here for? It's a FORUM! ALWAYS give your 2 cents worth if you think it MIGHT help. If there's a question...give a disclaimer with your response. But for those NOT in the know... Let's walk 'em through it...that's how we all learn. The obvious to some, may be obscure to others. HV, ya softy! Even tho you said you were 'reluctant'...Ya gave anyway! CUDOS! Keep it comin'.

OK, I'm done for now. I have another post to respond to. Sorry about being so windy.
Later
WC

thank you so much nuttsy, i really appreciate it, happy valley was making me feel like a tard. one thing i can say about myself is that ive always loved to take stuff apart and tinker, and fix broken stuff. no matter what the consequences could be, i would always break stuff down without looking back! also always loved to build stuff, i was going to make myself a direct drive system like staton or bike motor parts, but i figure that it would be difficult to find bearings and a drive shaft and roller. so i just decided to order one from bike motor parts and maybe later on make one.

as for the engine, i ran more fuel through it and it seems to run a little better, but still not the same. maybe this weekend i will do what you said and run some combustion chamber cleaner through it.

the motor is about 4 or 5 years old, and has hardly any use in it, maybe 2 gallons through it! should have put gas preserver in it when i stored it but i was younger and had no clue how much to put in!

will do more stuff with it on the weekend, with the rain, school and baseball i have hardly any time!!

Last edited:
It may sound strange but these little babies run like carp if you fill the crank case to its "normal oil level range after changing the oil. They run best if you keep the oil level just registering on the dip stick. (just showing up on the dip stick. On the low side) Ive also owned a few, 4 to be exact and they are all the same. Id fill em up to the normal range, start em up and sure as heck they run like carp and I always thought it was a carb issue. Im not the original guru of this tip, but no one has mentioned it yet so I thought I should jump in since you said you just changed the oil.

my oil possibly too full ??

these little babies run like carp if you fill the crank case to its "normal oil level range after changing the oil

hey graucho -- never heard that before -- very interesting

my Robin has been a little slugglish for a while now
a lady friend just bought a new one the other day
blew mine away -- much much faster !!

for fact I know -- I have my oil on the just a tad over full level
thinking as we sometimes do -- more is better -- not always !!

thanks for sharing that

as we ride that THING sideways

they run like carp

I've seen a salmon run,seen a bluefish run. Never saw a carp run.:rolleyes:
:D

Overfull is bad, but there should be no difference between normal level and low with the Robin.
If the Robin was splash type sytem then level would affect performance.

Back