Rock Solid Engines Billet Inlet Tube

AussieSteve

Local time
4:07 AM
Mentioned this in another thread, Rock Solid Engines laser-cut inlet gasket, so some of this is repeated.

Bought a Rock Solid Engines billet aluminium inlet tube with 'O' ring the other day, $35AU + delivery, for HT 2-stroke engines.
Not too impressed. Beautifully machined, looks great, but only 1½" long and straight, so the carb interferes with the clutch cable and is on a 25-30º angle. Also, the 'O' ring isn't quite close enough to the end of the tube to guarantee a good seal with the slots in the carb.
On top of this, the inlet is machined for allen-head screws, so the stock studs must be removed and allen-head screws found.
Score: 3/10 (Would have been 2/10, but it is a good little paperweight and the 'O' ring was useful on my filed alloy inlet.)

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

Better to save the $$$ and file a groove in a ($10US) after-market alloy tube to fit a (30c) 'O' ring.
See: NT carby/inlet leaks - a reliable solution

attachment.php

Late edit: After the above pic was taken, I filed more off the end of the tube so that the 'O' ring is only about 1mm from the end.
Also, smooth the ragged edges of the slots in the carb opening before fitting or the 'O' ring might be nicked resulting in a poor seal.
On top of this, a bit of 2-stroke oil on the seal when fitting the carb is a good idea.
And finally, ensure that the 'O' ring is fuel resistant or it will swell out of control on contact with fuel. (Been there, done that, years ago)

... Steve

Last edited:
thanks for the info... I was seriously debating with myself on buying one of these things.

well Aussie is rite just remember you do have to do some other work to fit it, if you have to time this is what it is all about not just bolting on parts but working on your bike. this forum has been a great source for helpful info.

I could have moved the cable adjuster, but my carb was on too much of an angle for my liking.
Either method requires a bit of work. I like the modified alloy type, but the short one would help in frames that are a tight squeeze.
For flow, a stock steel tube is probably best, but they're not thick enough to cut an 'o' ring groove.

... Steve

If I have a problem with this fit where can I get a clutch roller set up? ( I has seen them her before but can't remember where) I am borrowing a neighbors puter so I'll get mine up & going tomorrow!

I never did fit my billet inlet, Dan, so I didn't change the clutch adjuster position. It's sitting in the shed, unused.
As you can see in the pics of my bike on my profile page, or even my avatar above, my engine leans forward a lot, so the billet inlet wasn't suitable. The carb was tilted too much for my liking.

I just checked out the pics of your bike, your engine isn't tilted much, so you shouldn't have the problem that I did.

Regarding the 'clutch tube mod', it's only a matter of removing the screw-in clutch cable adjuster from the top of the casing and cutting it shorter, then re-fitting it, so that the cable sits lower and clears the new lower carb position.

Did you try searching 'clutch roller'?
Al.Fisherman, (Ron Becker), sells them.
If you scroll through the first few pages in 'Buy/Sell/Trade', you'll find the thread.

Sorry Steve; But the pics of that bike was the one stold in Vegas. I liked that frame! But I got a D.I.Y. from B.B. and it does not go together as easy as you would think! The only mods on the Royce Union was front mount & tank spacers. I don't have the equipment to do what I need to do. (Motel life). I know I seen thing I'm looking for, To see if it might be useable or go in MY new unused box. LOL, Thanks for the reminder of where to look!!! Dan :whistle:

Back