Roller material

2speedboi

That Emery cloth didnt really wear it out the tire for the 20 miles I had it on.. lol

I think partially, wear is also comes from rubber compound in the tire.

I am going to order Michelin protek urban 700x40c tires for next ride season.
My idea is that solex used Michelin branded tires on their mopeds.

Right now I have 38c cheap kenda looking tires for 20 a piece that I am really happy with.
But bottom line is mileage.

If I get twice the miles out a twice as expensive tire, that's half the trouble of replacement and breaking down. Just in my opinion, seems to be worth the trade off.

I have the Armadillo tires that had great results with the steel spindle, but the thickness of the rubber plated part in that. At 32c it was skinny though. Ran at 55 a piece, I had zero issues all summer

2speedboi

Okay, results;

As I was installing the spindle a rain/sleet storm with a good head wind rolled in. So i took advantage of the conditions and took to the road.

I relieved a little spring clutch pressure which has me a heavy 1/8 in tire depth.

Roads wet and perfect for testing!

Kenda rebrand street slick in 700x38c.
I am overall impressed with the performance. It grips well like real clutch action and I dropped started a few tire, with even a slow roll up! All while wet!

The real test is wear. I did about 6 miles with a good head wind forcing the engine to apply more torque which will wear the spindle. So far no wear, just shiny.

20211126_133632.jpg
20211126_173100.jpg
20211126_172728.jpg

Went out for more riding across town, picked up a "revolutions" cruiser bicycle for a good price considering it's a 400 mark bike. Wish it wasn't gloss black. Could go for a red or something.

Anyways, the bike towed the cruiser back to the shop no problem, no slipping and great acceleration.

So far it's about 10 miles at the second picture.
Still no wear, just smooth, the Emery cloth had shredded off by now so we have a contender!

Third picture is a couple more different sizes, plus a modified bigfoot spindle made to fit a 35mm bearing with a more torque driven carbide coating (7/8) for a customer to try out on his bike. Lots of hills, wind half the time and now its rain/snow season.