Roller material

2speedboi

Local time
3:34 AM
I've been using cheap harbor freight epoxy and n scale ballast rocks for model trains in the mix. Home made friction weed whipper setup, armadillo 700x32 tread on a retrospect frame.

I've experienced hardly any tire wear, and would compare it to be better than rubber (I've used formed radiator hose) as for longevity and better than knurled steel for wear and grip. The surface becomes smooth but grips the tire well. The armadillo tires are a nice dense rubber which seem to help.

Grips like a hard urethane and wears slow enough to warrant re coating every so often. As it's easy enough.

I'm gunna use jb weld brand quick set 5 minute with a 1 hour cure, the psi rating is 4000+. Which is double the the HF brand.
The n scale ballasting rock is nice and VERY consistent. A small bag for less than 5 bones will last year's. I'll post updates next time and log my miles as best as I can.

Mix well the ballast after epoxy mixing, and when it starts to set after a couple minutes apply it, after a while you can press out any protruding parts when it's soft and not so sticky. I had no abnormal vibrations after and I did a half decent job consider the access space. Keep the roller level and rotate until nicely set!

What are your preferred mods or standard rollers?

Forgot that I had started a thread about a year ago on the same subject.

The sanding belt works good, too good. Shreds tires to fast and is no better with wet weather than any other types.

The roller is a 5/8 steel shaft drilled and tapped to a 3/8 to fit a stihl fs56

I use lock collars to get more mid range.

A pretty small coating. I've been kinda clutching it from dead and slow stops so it's wear a little fast, but my tire still looks great. 8.99 every couple of months or 55 ever make month. Weighs out good In my book.

Attachments

• IMG_20210512_101353_8.jpg
    IMG_20210512_101353_8.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 216
Still running the same tire(Armadillo 700x32c )

Recently, steel 6 hour expoxy, 140 grit emery cloth to a .850 spindle and increased the surface area with two sheets of cloth epoxy. Round it just below .900

I love the grip and it doesn't seem to wear out the tire faster than normal with the correct pressure applied.

The emery is aluminium oxide, only a couple miles on it so far but has shown no wear like the diablo sanding belt 36 grit did.

New 140
20211115_153425.jpg

The cross cuts on the stock go ped spindles are great at first, but like many people have complained they rubbed out quickly. Not deep enough

A black magic spindle might do really well too, I just haven't gotten one.

But I am really enjoying the 140 grit!

It also seems to replicate the solex roller surface. I would love to get my hands on an original or see some up close quality photos.

Well, it ran great with almost no wear on the tire and roller with the 140, today, within a couple miles in wet weather it shreds the cloth right off the spindle!

Any ideas for epoxy besides jb weld steel liquid mix to stick the cloth on?

Okay, I will follow up with a new project in a couple days. But it includes marine weld, rated at 550 degrees Fahrenheit and water proof(which I think is one of the issues).

The other ingredient is 36 grit corrundum rock. $15 for 2lbs. Which appears it would last myself years.. commonly known for rock tumbling and sand blasting. Very hard material.
20211124_151630.jpg

Okay, epoxy and 36 grit applied. I did a coating of marine weld, and then rolled it in grit. I did this 3 times and rolled it smooth. I think the coldness out in the shop helps with applying this.

Rolled out smooth to get me about a 7/8 roller off of a 5/8 roller. I'll wait a couple days for the cure since it's cold.
20211125_080749.jpg

Okay, epoxy and 36 grit applied. I did a coating of marine weld, and then rolled it in grit. I did this 3 times and rolled it smooth. I think the coldness out in the shop helps with applying this.

Rolled out smooth to get me about a 7/8 roller off of a 5/8 roller. I'll wait a couple days for the cure since it's cold.
I like your thinking there, that should work out good. That should have some serious roller traction, it's got to be hard on tires thou. Keep us posted on how your performance roller mogification works out.

Back