Roller Size and what it means for you

Buzzard2

Local time
8:42 PM
If you want LESS top speed, more pulling power for hills and bucking the wind pick a smaller drive roller.

If you want a FASTER top speed, less pulling power on hills and bucking the wind pick a
larger drive roller.

Keep in mind the larger the drive roller you will have to assit pedal the bike up hills and high winds.

The 1" drive roller is good for riders up to 200 lbs and some hills top speed is about 25 - 27 mph. Mostly used with engines 1.10 HP and Higher.

This kit:
The 1-1/8" drive roller is the standard and most common size for riders up to 280 lbs with mostly flat ground that want a fast top speed about 30 mph. Mostly used with engines 1.60 HP and Higher.

The 1.34" drive roller and for riders 150 lbs or less and mostly flat ground 37+ mph.
Mostly used with engines 2.0 HP and Higher.

Buzz, have you tried the GX50 at all? Not the GXH50.

Is someone finally considering a Staton FD kit purchase....instead of monkeying around with the Chinese FD kit?
Hallelujah! 😉😜

Some engine mods provide more torque and or power aswell. I use a muffler that is quiet ish for more compression which seems to give more torque for in town travel, but I have good top end with my roller at 1 1/8, for groceries!

Briggs n strat can for more top end power and being annoying

My Chinese friction drive kit came with the 37cc 4 stroke engine and a 40mm roller. Not a good match, roller way too big. I ground it down to 24mm which is about right for my use.

What we need is a varied roller, turn a screw it pulmps up to 1.5, screw it down to 1 inch ...i am off to invent this !

Go for it!

Ever see a muffler pipe expander? Something like that might work.

Simple CVT tranny like on a scooter would be neat. Design it to weigh 5lbs or so and not rob too much hp. Dimension Edge had a nice system when it came as designed. You could change rollers on the fly anytime anywhere. Plus they were polyurethane and worked well.

So, I'm assuming by all of this, (I'm not concerned all that much about top speed) if I'm pulling a trailer most of the time which is obviously more drag and wind resistance, that I'd be wanting a smaller roller, correct?

1in roller will give you more torque, less speed. 1.25in roller will give you less torque and more speed. Bigger roller covers more area than the smaller with each = revolution.

Back