Chain Tensioner Roller skate chain tensioner

P

Patch

So my original chain tensioner broke at the nut piece. So now Im doing it with a roller blade wheel. I have it all set up except the groove for the chain.

How do i do this without a drill press? How could I chuck it up in a drill?

Thanks guys

I have the roller bearing one from Dax, it has been there for a long time. It is larger and spins with-ought wobble. I would think if you were using a roller skate wheel with a grove it would be better! Have fun, Dave

Patch you got a bench vice? is so lock the wheel in that and drill it and turn it

loco...when you say drill it which direction am I drilling? Thanks
390_Wheel_1.jpg

I got her done...I hammered a large wooden dowel into the hole WITHOUT the bearings, and put that on the polishing mandrel of a dremel (the skrew looking one). This made a very crude and shaky lathe.

I then used the corner of some wood chisels (nice and sharp). It took a long time but It did the job.

YOu can only do it in 7min sessions due to the over heating of the motor in the dremel. Also, you have to have the speed all the way up, but you must keep the right amount of pressure on the chisel so the un-even wheel doesn't shake itself apart.

If anyone wants more info just ask, cuz there's way more to this little trick

PS WEAR A MASK

Did you use the stock tensioner metal piece and just swap out the wheels?

I want to use a roller skate wheel as well. Does it have any clearance issues with the wheel/spokes?

Does it work well?

I've got over 500 miles on a metal gear with a bearing in it that I got off of ebay. Its made for #41 chain and is an idler cog for a lawn mower. Used the stock bracket from Live fast with the for bolts that hold the clamp onto the frame.

Pete

Reviving an old thread...

So, does anybody have a pic of a skate wheel as a tensioner....

I knew that I had to groove my skateboard wheel because the chain was running on the wheel's edge. Not having a drillpress handy, I simply nut-and-bolted the wheel and chucked it into my 1/2 portable drill. Using a half-round basted file, the groove was completed in a few minutes.

The hardest part was flattening the tire so I could remove/reinstall the wheel on my Staton chain drive without disconnecting anything else..

Thought I'd share what the one I did looks like, it. I got this tip off this thread, so thx everybody for submitting your ideas, this works WAY better than the stock...

IMG_3836.JPG

IMG_3842.JPG

Back