Rotary Pics

I agree Hive. For that price you're going to change out several bicycles before your motor dies, I'd definitely get one if they were sold here and had parts availability. Just look at the wheel itself it screams of being heavy duty. Thats NEVER going to bend or warp on you. Nice stuff, wish it was mine :)

You are right it isn't a "rotary" engine, the company that makes these is called "Pro Rotary", it is a Sachs 301 engine made under license in China. There are some differences, like a detachable head. If you think this engine is expensive, the Sachs engine is quite a bit more expensive, also sold in Australia
http://www.moped.com.au/
Frank at Five Flags in Florida sold me a clone of both of these, looks like the "MBA" engine. He didn't like the design because they all use only one piston ring. The engine he sent me is pretty cool, a little crude, but more powerful than the Sachs. This appears to be a popular design in Asia.
There was a company in Los Angeles, called "Power Treads" that imported and sold the German Sachs 301 engines here in the US. The bikes in the literature I have recommend using steel mountain bikes so this must have been the late '80's to early 90's.
Yes, they do freewheel, they ride just like a bicycle until you need the extra power, then you press the starter button. I use the engine about 10% of the time. It is very nice to know that you can power home if you need to, so you actually use the engine very little.

Its kinda neat looking, but so far an unknown quantity.
That is whizzer price range. (known quantity)
It is rated at 197 watts...
746 is 1 HP if I remember correctly.
How does it ride? What kind of power does she have?
Are the listed speeds accurate, or understated?

Rotary

I agree about it not being true Wankel rotary. I would say it is more like a Subaru/VW "opposed" flat engine type, but with only two cylinders.

Still, seems well done and, for the money, would likely last a long long time.

I have a Sachs powered moped and am going to see if that motor can be adapted in some way - when it warms up, that is.

Thanks for Sachs link. Spendy that!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nifty Gas Tanks

The gas tanks/fuel cells on these bikes look like they can be adapted to the typical rigs seen here.

Yes, the gas tank is quite good, roto molded poly, but still lose a little gas through the vent in the cap. The Sachs has the tank integrated into the rack, with the battery pack for the starter just in front.

I average 15 mph on mine, again mostly as a bicycle. Top speed is 18 mph on the flat and this is the hot rod version. In Germany they are geared lower to go only 12 mph, but you have to remember these are a "help motor". They aren't trying to be a moped but just a bicycle. In fact in the Netherlands, kids make fun of them, they are for old folks. If you are strong, you ride a bicycle, but it is flat there so they don't make quite as much sense.

Rich

Back