Rotary tool tips

FurryOnTheInside

In Memoriam
Local time
3:44 PM
Hello one quick question I promise because I am losing consciousness.

Need headphones and loud music to even stay conscious to post this much lol

Aluminium crown reaming by hand was harder job taking longer than expected today . Not engine aluminium. A fork crown from an Italian made 1996 Marzocchi Z3 Light.
Big piece of mtb history being put to better use than ornament to collect. Earth is dying, global warming is forever. Fucget history cuz it wont help in 30 to 40 years when the species is completely dead.
Actually it takes at least two sacrifices of irreplaceable history, ruining of the originality and collectability, to make the practical component we need for our semiprone bike project. Real important historical significance mtb history stuff going to actual use for the learning and betterment of the next generation. Haha it feels real!

BiSH sang
Give your best.
Not do your best.
GIVE YOUR BEST.
So I gave my 1996 Marzocchi Z1 AND my 1996 Marzocchi Z3 Light to this project. It feels real.

Cutting was difficult and jumpy because new person anxiety of the tool, plus very hard aluminium i guess, the crown being where all the stiffness is. idk really. Wish we had a really good tapered reaming tool that fit just right.
Should I reduce the rotary tool's speed?? Add fluid. I never used silicone spray as fluid on aluminium only when drilling steel with steel?

Thank you in advance for your kind replies 🙏😁

Last edited:
Hello one wiick question I promise because I am losing consciousness.

Aluminium harder than expected today . Not engine aluminium. A fork crown. Cutting was difficut and jumpy becauseo²new Should I reduce the speed??

Thank you in advance for your kind replies 🙏😁
I reduce speed and spritz water on aluminium and use slow speeds for steel and oil

I reduce speed and spritz water on aluminium and use slow speeds for steel and oil
You reduce speeds for aluminium and use slow speeds for steel? Thats similar.. so you probably meant to put "hardened" or "especially hard types of" in there.
Maybe it is just the speed was too high for the extreme hardness then.
⅘We will try a little slower motor setting tomorrow.. maybe start right in the middle of the tool lspeed range. 😄

And try water (really?!) 😅
Thank you! I'm off to bed. 🤤💤💤💤💤

Last edited:
You reduce speeds for aluminium and use slow speeds for steel? Thats similar.
Maybe it is just the speed was too high for the hardness then. We will try a little slower motor setting tomorrow.. maybe start right in the middle of the tools' speed range. 😄

I hope you sleep well my friend.

Love & Hugs, and Ride Safe in slumberland :cool:

HP

You reduce speeds for aluminium and use slow speeds for steel? Thats similar.
Maybe it is just the speed was too high for the hardness then. We will try a little slower motor setting tomorrow.. maybe start right in the middle of the tools' speed range. 😄

Well yeah. Slow speed and some sort of lubricant, depending on what material being cut.

With a dremel I use water for alum and oil for steel.

Get to bed now :p

Love ya brother! :cool:

HP

Now I said i was passing out and going to bed but i haz smartphone and headphone and strong psychedelic meds 😂
So now as I like here in real semi consciousness i am watching the new Wagg music video in a darkened room while on psychedelic meds that can really make the colours pop. 💥💥💥💥💥🧡💛💚💙💜Wagg have bicycles that are crossed with arcade machines or some shhhhh.......

Last edited:
I will have to find a syringe and be the water applier.. because it will just run off.
Couldn't i use silicone spray like I do when im drilling steel? I never tried a rotary tool on steel except the cutting discs and the grey stones. I do tend to make a meal of cutting steel things with the the cutting discs.
Were just reaming out a classic fork's crown. It came with a 1" steerer that would have allowed it to fit on many unusual and older style frames including many huge American beach cruisers and tandem! It was shimmed to fit the fat end of a 1&1/8" steerer, but the replacement steerer was 24 years ago 🤣
So I bought a RST replacement steel steerer and tried to fit that to the crown. It was just too wide. I will have to ensure the taper is close to correct. Im sure this should be done with a reaming tool.

Back