Rotating the cylinder?

Murkle

Local time
1:44 PM
Since 2 Stokes don't have oil or water channels run through the engine, would it be possible to rotate the cylinder and head 180° so the exhaust and intake positions are flipped?
And what caveats would this introduce?
(Other than different exhaust routing)

Last edited:
Not a problem, would require a little blending on the transfer ports at the mating area between the case and cylinder. But take into consideration the area around the exhaust port is the hottest and requires more air flow for cooling.

Last edited:
I've done it. it runs hot that way, but not so hot that it's ready to blow at any minute. you need to do a little bit of dremel work so the transfer ports line up, and you need to do some tuning on account of the considerably colder air going through the carburetor.

no caveats other than the heat issue, but it's not as simple as unbolting it and spinning it around.

Ok thanks guys! I haven't really seen any posts about it for a long time. oh! Other than better air, would the rotation increase power or rpms?

Ok thanks guys! I haven't really seen any posts about it for a long time. oh! Other than better air, would the rotation increase power or rpms?
Probably no, due to the needed mods lowering the precompression and the uneven heating of the machine it should make it worse, you'll probably want it a bit richer or at the very least a bit more oil.

I noticed a very minor power improvement from it, likely from the colder air charge. I would suggest ducting to direct cool air to the exhaust side and a stuffed case if you want big power out of a flipped jug

Back