Rotor magnet

Daniel C Pelkey

Local time
9:15 AM
I have a New 2 stroke engine kit that won't start. I have replaced the magneto and cdi, still no spark. While inspecting the rotor magnet it has no magnetic properties, nothing will stick to it. Could this be the reason I have no spark?
Help please

And another problem to add to the list of problems you can expect with these motors... Magnets that weren't actually made into magnets.
How about a magnet that has reverse magnetic polarity? All the rotors I have checked will attract when set side to side with the key way to the right accept this one. What do you suppose the effects would be?

I believe all CDIs have full wave rectifiers, so doubt it matters.

Hang on a second.

Can we increase the level of magnetism here? I don't see why not.

Reason 1 repair nonmagnetic magnet
Reason 2 moar power

How about a magnet that has reverse magnetic polarity? All the rotors I have checked will attract when set side to side with the key way to the right accept this one. What do you suppose the effects would be?

I would say a really advanced spark timing if it were installed pole correct!

Can he just put it in a working motor and publish what happens?
I was hoping that there was a real electrically smart guy on here that could explain it. The anwser is the engine will not run. This rotor was on a brand new engine. A guy built it himself, then brought it in when he couldn't get it to start. Talk about a nightmare to figure out. I had gone over everything at least twice trying to figure out what I was missing. The b**ch is it gets good spark. Everything needed was there. I decided it had to be something I was in the dark about and thought of checking the magnetic polarity. Shazam. I never bring it up on trouble shooting threads because it's somewhere around a 1 in 300+ long shot in my exp. and still growing.

Last edited:
Back