RS-68 Legal Motorized Bikes in Florida at last!!!

Let's start with the first thing why would anybody in their right mind only want a coaster brake? If your bicycle chain breaks or comes off you have no way of stopping. What I'd do is ask who is going to be doing the inspecting. Then ask that person what you're going to need. You can get specs on most 4 stroke engines. You can put a 12 volt lighting system, mirrors and horn on your bike. There's lots of moped parts supplier. You can use a bicycle computer for a speedometer. In my state Tennessee the laws aren't as strict I'm not required to have tail, brake and signal lights, mirrors or a horn. Yet I have them anyways. I've got these for my benefit. My mirrors let me know what's behind me without looking over my shoulder. My lights let other drivers know what I'm getting ready to do. My horn can warn others of me being near or approaching them. In the end why would you not want these things on your bike?

Last edited:
I imagine an air horn would work, but I did my horn setup using an electric motorcycle horn and it was less than $10 and is very loud. I'm using a motorcycle battery but there's no reason you can't just use a cheap 12v lamp battery.

So a coaster brake bike will not longer work, unless you add a front brake....if Walmart lights aren't good enough, then what.?...brake light, rig somekind of switch.?...horn powered by what.?..will an air horn commonly used on boats work.?..where do the reflectors go....bikes now have yellow on the pedals, red in rear & white in front....is that ok....Does anyone know of a supplier that will document the engine as 50cc or less and 2 hp or less?...I haven't found one yet. My local DMV said I was the first person to ask them and they don't have many answers...

Yeah so you add a front brake and you have a headlight and a brake light. Yeah and you use your intelligence to rig a switch. Air horn seriously get a bike horn for 2.99 Yeah the pedals are ok and a receipt will document under 50cc . Yeah keep asking make it more difficult instead of doing what you need to do to get a tag. Sure impress the DMV with your Academic Question they have not even thought about. You are amazing. Prove to them what a clear thinker you are. Oh and we are impressed they don't have many answers Wow you are magnificent!

Don't you get it? You have an opportunity to be legal. So be sure to screw it up for you and do you best to do it for others. What an a@s hole

Once again, you pompous ass...the reason for motorizing a bike no longer exist's . You might as well buy a scooter.....

Doug before you could only buy one with a combustible engine from a certified manufacturer in order to be legal. Now you have a choice you can buy from a certified manufacturer or build your own in Florida.

the reason for motorizing a bike no longer exist's What a statement that really lets you know what this guy is thinking. The reasons for doing so are the same as when they were not legal. What has changed? Now you have to conform to Motor Vehicle standards so you don't get hassled or worse by the Cops? Seems to me you can still do whatever you want. You can still be a target of the Cops. On the other hand thinking Folks will realize the opportunity to build a cheap method of transportation or just a FUN hobby thing and be legal. And this now is a problem? For who? Derelicts? Reprobates? or just Plain Morons? Take your Pick. But make no mistake those who protest have a much different agenda then law biding people. Kudos to the Elected Florida Representatives and the DMV for responding to our needs.

If that is pompous then go scratch.

the reason for motorizing a bike no longer exist's What a statement that really lets you know what this guy is thinking. The reasons for doing so are the same as when they were not legal. What has changed? Now you have to conform to Motor Vehicle standards so you don't get hassled or worse by the Cops? Seems to me you can still do whatever you want. You can still be a target of the Cops. On the other hand thinking Folks will realize the opportunity to build a cheap method of transportation or just a FUN hobby thing and be legal. And this now is a problem? For who? Derelicts? Reprobates? or just Plain Morons? Take your Pick. But make no mistake those who protest have a much different agenda then law biding people. Kudos to the Elected Florida Representatives and the DMV for responding to our needs.

If that is pompous then go scratch.

Let's talk about the elephant in the room.
The main reason for a lot of people is the fact that they did not have a drivers license.
This is what the guy was really talking about.
The other elephant in the room is that you are gloating about that fact. That is why the other poster is calling you a pompous ass.

Let's talk about the elephant in the room.
The main reason for a lot of people is the fact that they did not have a drivers license.
This is what the guy was really talking about.
The other elephant in the room is that you are gloating about that fact. That is why the other poster is calling you a pompous ass.

Let's talk about that Elephant. Isn't a tag at least better in terms of the law than no tag even if you have no DL? I think so. I think you fly under the radar much easier with a tag and following the laws. Now the other elephant is not my gloating but my celebrating that now we can be totally legal in Florida. Sorry if my Joy offends those without DLs They were in trouble before this development and they are still in trouble now. Nothing has changed. So don't rain on my Parade.

SpecialX in Florida its been the law you must have a driver's license to operate a moped. Granted many cops may not have known what the law was and MB riders flew under the radar. However here is what they could have charged you with no DL and operating an improper vehicle on the public roadway. If you got away with it be thankful; you got lucky.

I run electric.
I have no problems with the new law.
I run cleaner quieter and longer and then all of the people that run gas so either way it makes no difference to me. I am always laughing at all the people that run gas bikes usually because they would want to race me from a dead stop at a light and I'd blow them away up until about 20 miles an hour.
Needless to say, I ran a gas bike for about three months, it was okay but I'll take electric any day because in my opinion it is 1000 times better than gas.

Last edited:
Back