RS35 Clutch/GEBE Kit-Ops Question

S

sabrewalt

Got about 100 or so miles on my new RS35 KIT :cool:. Love it. The question I have is "What keeps the clutch engaged? The Engine RPM or the whole assembly RPM.. Here is why I ask. I was rolling down a mild hill on to a flat and had the throttle at it's happy place and the engine was REALLY winding out... LOTS of momentum. I released the throttle and I was actually getting some braking action from the engine. The engine did NOT return to idle but rather stayed synced with the speed of the wheel. I ran the test again but this time as I hit the highest speed, I reached down and hit the kill switch. (BTW My kill switch STAYS on when I click it. It is a toggle switch.) The engine kept running all the way down to about 10 or 12 mph and THEN dropped out. The compression was actually helping with my slow down.

That sound right?

The engine drives the clutch rotor, centrifugal force forces the clutch shoes into contact with the clutch drum making things go. Once the clutch is engaged, it doesn't matter whether the the engine is turning the rotor or the drive train is turning it, as long as there is sufficient RPM, it stays engaged.

Kerf hit it exactly. The clutch will not freewheel or disengage until you get below the rpm at which it engages. If you don't want the engine to slow you down, keep a little pressure on the throttle.

Back