RSE/Zeda reed valve, improvements?

I had to buy one already..mine quit on me in mid porting:confused:

Then my scale wouldn't work when I needed it so I have one coming to me.. hopefully I have it Monday.

I'll be trying the RSE Zeda Reed (2 petal) at some point myself along with the OZ Reed (4 petal) then the Dio Reed (6 petal).

And ultimately trying a case Reed motor.

Well, I was hoping there would be some way to get the carbon fibre ones to be less of a restriction so I wouldn't lose much off my top speed, but the low end/ midrange torque and intake noise reduction is far more important to me, personally. (and the reed valve's reliability)

So should I pick up a set of replacement petals when I order the reed valve? I guess from the sounds of it that would be a good idea. :)

I'm trying to picture in my head what you describe with the cyanoacrylate glue (common ordinary super glue?) or thin epoxy. I assume you mean a thing coating of epoxy rather than thin meaning runny. I hope I can figure it out when I have the reed valve in front of me.
Same goes for the intake port reshaping, I will just have to figure out what looks about right. Does fully open mean that the petals will be parallel with each other and the direction of the intake flow?
I'll post photos of any modifications I do.

It would've been nice to have more flexible petals for less intake restriction but it sounds like the difference isn't too much. :)
MZ are too damn frustrating to try to deal with, and I see no spare petals for their reed valve.
If it turns out to be possible for me to make my own fibreglass replacements then I will be glad I got the much less expensive valve from RSE/ Zeda/ BMW anyway. :)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5X-PCS-Moto...art-/272676505651?vxp=mtr&hash=item3f7cc94833
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorized-B...art-/271954119710?vxp=mtr&hash=item3f51ba8c1e
These are the replacements at MZ for those whom the shipping works out sorry Furry.Let me see if I can get you their store front email. The petals do open quite a bit as the stress cracks show in the glass ones maybe thats why their offered in sets of 5 LOL.The c/a (crazy glue) but again really thin yes runny to absorb in as much as possible does work best for the carbon ones,not just the sides the bottom edge can be open aswell it needs to be square with a sharp edge to not luft the airflow.For reducing intake noise this item will help.I'm sure you could make your own petals with glass fiber sheet I would use epoxy resin sheets rather than poly resin it's a bit stiffer in thiner sheets.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5X-PCS-Moto...art-/272676505651?vxp=mtr&hash=item3f7cc94833
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorized-B...art-/271954119710?vxp=mtr&hash=item3f51ba8c1e
These are the replacements at MZ for those whom the shipping works out sorry Furry.Let me see if I can get you their store front email. The petals do open quite a bit as the stress cracks show in the glass ones maybe thats why their offered in sets of 5 LOL.The c/a (crazy glue) but again really thin yes runny to absorb in as much as possible does work best for the carbon ones,not just the sides the bottom edge can be open aswell it needs to be square with a sharp edge to not luft the airflow.For reducing intake noise this item will help.I'm sure you could make your own petals with glass fiber sheet I would use epoxy resin sheets rather than poly resin it's a bit stiffer in thiner sheets.
Oh I see it's the whole valve not just petals. The rivets(?) make it apoear like I couldn't just replace the petals anyway. Yeah postage cost for that is double the price of the item lol. :rolleyes:

I can see if the RSE Zeda one from BMW will combine the postage cost of the replacement valve with the actual reed valve/block complete kit that I'll order from them. I don't particularly fancy making my own petals at this stage. I just want to be a bit more stealthy and pull the cargo well. :)

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
BMW have sent my reed valve and spare carbon fibre petals. Should be here end of next week or so. :)

I'll just have to see how to replace the petals when the time comes.

I don't have any spare intake manifold gaskets, and I recall reading something about Permatex liquid gasket being used, I think it was to seal the two parts of the reed valve block.
I think I would like to try P.T.F.E. "plumbers" tape first, since it is much cheaper and I have already been using it with success, twisted as the head gasket and flat as the carb-to-manifold seal. :)

Last edited:
Hell I even sent you a $65 jug (BC YOUR REED WAS LEAKING) and you wouldnt seal the reed up. (WE JUST LEARNED THAT THE REEDS DONT FULLY SEAL UP WITHOUT PERMATEX.
Moderators Note:
Please be aware that Zeda Motor Sports and Robert Bianchi have nothing to do with Zeda itself which is a manufacturer of Zeda Motors in China.
A reputable vendor of the Zeda line of motors can be found at bicycle-engines.com

Uh huh, that's the post I read that mentioned Permatex. It's expensive stuff though (and no one has actually said which of the many Permatex products to use), so I'll give PTFE tape a try first, since it worked so well on my carb-to-manifold and as a head gasket too. :)

Uh huh, that's the post I read that mentioned Permatex. It's expensive stuff though (and no one has actually said which of the many Permatex products to use), so I'll give PTFE tape a try first, since it worked so well on my carb-to-manifold and as a head gasket too. :)
I'm pretty sure he was reffering to the dio reed set up needing the perma tex since there is so much surface area to be sealed.

I'm pretty sure he was reffering to the dio reed set up needing the perma tex since there is so much surface area to be sealed.
Ah! :)
Oh well I will still need to seal the reed valve to the cylinder with something, so I will try the thing that I have already.. nothing to lose by trying it out. :)

Back