Running 1 Piston Ring

Jug

Local time
7:56 AM
I dont think alot of new people who port and stuff know this. If you break a ring you can run one ring. Running one ring will also make the engine run cooler as there is less friction. I doubt it would show any noticible difference but still.

I dont think alot of new people who port and stuff know this. If you break a ring you can run one ring. Running one ring will also make the engine run cooler as there is less friction. I doubt it would show any noticible difference but still.
you also get more blow by and as a result less compression, it will run, just over time the bike will lose compression faster. and id not run it for too long, since there will be increased wear (1 ring touching has less surface area resulting in more wear over time)

just to clear things up, main reason racing dirt bikes run a 1 ring cylinder, there going to throw the jug away after a race anyway, might as well get some more inertia. and can (with the right port maps and tuning) see a VERY sight increase in power. but for most you cant feel the diffrence.
and thats the main reason all main stream 2 stokes have 2 rings, since they dont want customers back in a month saying there 2 smoke blew up again.

If you break a ring you should immediately take the head and cylinder off and fish out all the pieces of the broken ring out before they get into the crank case. Running the engine with only 1 ring will reduce compression in a major way.

Well, i think its time to get me some new rings now. Been running 1 ring for 2 months now. I do notice there is a compression difference going slow but top end is crazy still

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Uhmm. That's completely wrong. Friction heat of the rings is negligible and the piston will get hotter with less contact area to the cylinder.

This is mentioned page 9 into Jenning Two Stroke Tuners Handbook.
Well i learned something new
I saw it on youtube and thought it made sense. Now that i think of it even if it was true it wouldnt make alot of difference if your running correct gas/oil mixures.

Well, it happened.
I installed 2 new piston rings, more compression and high end power.
Got a new problem tho, my crank gasket (the one that splits the motor in half) is blown and spitting gas out. Thinking about just making it into a case reed and re sealing everything

Case reeds are great, they make great power. They're used on a lot of outboard engines, but where are you going to put the carb on a bike?

Back