Running a 420cc predator in upright position

RocketJ

Local time
1:08 AM
Is this something that can be done? I've heard that predators suffer from oiling issues if operated in an upright position.

Is this something that can be done? I've heard that predators suffer from oiling issues if operated in an upright position.
Where did you hear that?
There are so many vertical 212cc and 79 cc Predators out there running for a long time
with no problems.
However what are you going to put a 420 in?

Lol imagine a motorized bike with a 420 that would be insanity. You would probably have to use real motorcycle wheels and gusset the frame. I’m building a 212cc mini chopper but thought about using a 270cc Lifan.

Where did you hear that?
There are so many vertical 212cc and 79 cc Predators out there running for a long time
with no problems.
However what are you going to put a 420 in?
Im building a morgan 3 wheeler. Are you sure there's no issue though? There's tons of threads here that say you have to add extra oil to upright 212s

Im building a morgan 3 wheeler. Are you sure there's no issue though? There's tons of threads here that say you have to add extra oil to upright 212s
Of course you have to add extra oil so the dipper still flings the oil.
Adding extra oil is not an oiling issue!
Why only a 420 on a Morgan? 13 measly hp.
Use a 670 V twin.
Dan Orabona just built a 3 wheeler with a Harley motor.

Of course you have to add extra oil so the dipper still flings the oil.
Adding extra oil is not an oiling issue!
Why only a 420 on a Morgan? 13 measly hp.
Use a 670 V twin.
Dan Orabona just built a 3 wheeler with a Harley motor.
I'm building it on a budget. I was going to use an 18hp duromax single, but the gearbox i found can only take 13, maybe 14 hps

Put it on a Cranbrook!!!! :ROFLMAO: (jk)

I have been doing a lot of research on bigger 4strokes and IMO the Predator 420 isn't the best choice for a big cube horizontal shaft. Power isn't great for its size, and aftermarket isn't nearly as large as the popular 212 so there are limited out of the box parts for it if you can't fab your own.

Personally, if I was gonna build a big cube 3 wheeler or a kart on a budget I would go for a used 14-18hp Briggs Vanguard v-twin. They pop up online for ~$500-600, or you could check commercial equipment stores to see if they have any deals or even used equipment with one for cheap that you can pull from. I know that's ~$150-200 more than the stock 420 Pred and its comparing used to new, but the Vanguard is commercial duty and will run forever if you are staying stock, plus have a ton more HP and TQ than an out of the box 420 while looking and sounding better on a bigger build. Heck, they use them on ultralight planes and gliders so you know they are reliable...anything popular in aviation has to be.

Put it on a Cranbrook!!!! :ROFLMAO: (jk)

I have been doing a lot of research on bigger 4strokes and IMO the Predator 420 isn't the best choice for a big cube horizontal shaft. Power isn't great for its size, and aftermarket isn't nearly as large as the popular 212 so there are limited out of the box parts for it if you can't fab your own.

Personally, if I was gonna build a big cube 3 wheeler or a kart on a budget I would go for a used 14-18hp Briggs Vanguard v-twin. They pop up online for ~$500-600, or you could check commercial equipment stores to see if they have any deals or even used equipment with one for cheap that you can pull from. I know that's ~$150-200 more than the stock 420 Pred and its comparing used to new, but the Vanguard is commercial duty and will run forever if you are staying stock, plus have a ton more HP and TQ than an out of the box 420 while looking and sounding better on a bigger build. Heck, they use them on ultralight planes and gliders so you know they are reliable...anything popular in aviation has to be.
The gearbox i found can only run 13hp though. Is there a gokart gearbox with reverse that can take 18hp?

The gearbox i found can only run 13hp though. Is there a gokart gearbox with reverse that can take 18hp?
Ahhh I didn't know you needed reverse. No clue but I would check out golf kart forums. Most of them have deep wallets and build some crazy 40-50hp worked 4strokes so I would imagine if anyone knows of a reverse gearbox setup it would be one of them...

I am curious so will take a look myself as well and reply back with anything I find.

edit: Looks like most are running transaxle setups like they use on dune buggies. Not seeing anything simple or feasible for above 13hp, sorry.

Last edited:
Ahhh I didn't know you needed reverse. No clue but I would check out golf kart forums. Most of them have deep wallets and build some crazy 40-50hp worked 4strokes so I would imagine if anyone knows of a reverse gearbox setup it would be one of them...

I am curious so will take a look myself as well and reply back with anything I find.

edit: Looks like most are running transaxle setups like they use on dune buggies. Not seeing anything simple or feasible for above 13hp, sorry.
Yea, i figured as much. Most of them don't even bother with reverse gears. I'm sure if i make it light enough and high enough gears, i can get it running decently fast

Back