How To Guide Running Essentials- a complete troubleshooting guide

crassius

I used half a crank in half a case with head attached to allow spark to be seen and timing marks on rotor and case so correct timing can be seen

here's a pic (sorry it is a bit blurry, but camera is crap)

TP-front tester.jpg

Frankenstein

I wonder if you taped that setup you have with the high speed camera in a smartphone if you could get an extremely accurate rep of the actual spark timing.

danlandberg

That's something I was thinking of doing, using case half(s) and crank. I would want to take the connecting rod off the crank. Add a multi grove v-belt pulley and a variable speed motor for variable RPMs. Make a degree wheel out of an old CD/DVD. This would aid in building an AC alternator, like the "mini gen" for testing and working out as many bugs as possible. I like to do as much as possible by myself using what I find to work with. I just don't have a junk engine to work with. Donations welcome. LoL. Anyone willing to donate a junk crank and case I will put it to good use.
I'm building a timing light circuit now on a bread board, if it works Ill make a pcb and a portable unit.

crassius

yeah, I pulled whole center journal out so it spins fairly smooth - I turn it with drill on rotor and use regular car timing light w/12volt battery

you won't have to look long for a dead motor, seems grenading is best trick they know

crassius

don;t need to be anything special 49cc 60cc 66cc and 70cc are all the same for testers

Sumsloppymeet

theres no gears on these engines enless your bike has mtn.bike gears or a jackshaft they regularly just have the one clutch to engage and disenggage the motor to and from the back tire it has whats called a powerband or one long gear like how Nissan has the CVT transmissions