Fuel Mixture Running Ethanol+2 stroke oil?

necessaryevil

Local time
8:33 AM
Forgive me if this thread allready exists, but has anyone tried running E-85 with 2 stroke oil? I've seen youtube videos of weedwackers and such running fine on it. What oil are they using? Would'nt you have to use metal gaskets in the motor? Is it even worth trying on our motorbikes?:confused:

Why would you even bother? E85 is more environmentally damaging to produce than gasoline and its harder to find. I wouldn't waste my time if I were you. They have to specially design car engines to run on the stuff without having their gaskets swell so I wouldn't trust it in my engine unless I had no other choice.

That's why I mentioned metal gaskets. I have an E-85 station a mile down the road. I know it's not a great solution to gasoline, but at least some of the money is going to american farmers. I just want to know if anyone has successfully used it on their 2 stroke?

That's why I mentioned metal gaskets. I have an E-85 station a mile down the road. I know it's not a great solution to gasoline, but at least some of the money is going to american farmers. I just want to know if anyone has successfully used it on their 2 stroke?

My other hobby is high performance air-cooled VW's (old bugs) and I know some guys have converted their fuel systems (and it's NO small task!) over to use E85 because it's octane rating is significantly higher than even premium pump gas and it runs COOL which is a big issue in the air-cooled world. Gotta' watch them head temps! My car is pretty radical for an N/A street car and my head temps are the main thing I watch. I do know that there is more to the conversion than just the gaskets though. Everything in the fuel system must be compatible. Also, be aware that jetting changes are probably going to be in order as your engine will burn roughly 35% more fuel with E85. I don't see the advantage for these weed wacker engines at all, and because it's essentially alcohol, it MAY break down the oil mix!

Warner

Here's a thread on the other (VW) forum if anyone is interested in it:

http://www.cal-look.com/forum/index.php?topic=26401.0

Last edited:
Why do you think food prices are going skywards faster than toilet spares for the ESS?

Because some bright spark thought - lets rob peter to pay paul - and use the land we were using to grow food to grow a plant to make a fuel thats lower energy and knackers engines in short order...

To be honest you might as well run the thing on nitro fuel for all the good E85 does for the environment and the engine.

Personally - I would recommend you run the thing on petroil as its designed for or nitro if you want more kick but forget bothering with E85.

While we are on the subject - american farmers and everyone else have been getting subsidised to grow food for the last 60 years.. the only reasons they are whining now is that they have suddenly realised that they have to grow the stuff economically like their fathers and grandfathers did and that slathering everything in enough agrochemical to fill Lake Michigan isnt going to work. I should know, I am ill and fighting to get treatment for a condition that could well have been caused by agrochemical effects..

My family has been in the business for years and isnt it strange that the farmers bellyache and whine about not having any money yet still get a new Landie, Pickup or 4x4 every couple of years at $35k a pop?...

*rant mode: off*

Jemma xx

Thank you Warner, interesting info there. I've thought about trying straight alcohol, but like you mentioned jetting, ignition, and engine gaskets would take a while to get perfect, and don't forget invisable fire hazzard:eek: I bet you could make one of these little engines scream though! I'm not a fan of E-85 at all, I'm just curious of what we can do to stop feeding the gas pumps.

Ethanol may not be a long term energy answer, but it need not be made from food crops and there is technology on the horizon that will make it an even more viable energy source- cellulosic ethanol, ethanol from garbage, etc. It is worth being explored.

IMO - jetting will be very lean

it will need a sanded, or special richer needle in the carb, and a bigger main, the E85 will require it to need a lot more fuel, this coming from knowing guys running alky on ATV's..

Burning food?

Burning food to run engines is not a good idea. never was, never will be. Let the American oil Companies drill in USA where they feel the oil is. This will keep american dollars in the USA and employ Americans. This will also send the value of the Dollar back up since you will be keeping Dollars here in America. Americans getting American Oil will help in many ways.. Enjoy the ride..

Back