Fuel Mixture Running ETOH in a two stroke

A

acoop101

I was wondering if anyone has used alcohol in their two stroke engines, if so did you just mix the oil in like you would gas please let me know, at over 50 cents a gallon price difference I would like to know if it could be done.

what's so funny you should get the nobel prize if you can make gasoline in your garage, for what it's worth a friend of mine is going through the work to set up a etoh still of his own.

I doubt it would work. In a 2-stroke, the oil and gas mix is both the lubricant and the fuel. It might be difficult to get the right combination of lubricity and octane. The oil would probably need to be custom made.

I've seen gripes re 2 stroke chainsaws that even E10 causes issues. Don't remember if the oil wasn't mixing right or what...

I was always under the impression that alcohol just dissolved two stroke oil making it impossible to use with a two stroke.

BSA

2 stroke with Alcohol can be done. All r/c cars and planes use this. There are many problems with it. Alcohol will attract water like a magnet causing water in your fuel to be a problem and cause corrosion of steel parts, inside tank etc. It will also tend to eat some plastics. The biggest problem is rejetting the carb. Fuel and alcohol have different densities so they behave differently. You would have to increase your jet to allow more alcohol so it won't lean your motor out and cause a seizure. So yes it can be done but sounds like more hassle than it is worth.

Back