Running great Stoping not so!

old whizzer

Local time
8:43 AM
After having Quenton mill the head on my NE5 every time I ride it seems to run better and better. So much power and so little brakes. Now what's my best bet to improve my brakes.

I replaced my Whizzer wheels with Worksman wheels. I think I could easily go over the handlebars now. It's not the easiest conversion but it is makes a big difference.

Jim

Last edited:
Lack of brakes

Hi OldWhizzer, you may want to pull your front wheel, and look to see if you are getting engagement on the whole shoe front and rear, if not take a dremel or equivelent and lightly sand off the glaze, repeat until you are getting about 3/4 contact patch, it will amaze you how much this helps (called "arc grinding" when done on a machine).

IF you already have about 3/4, and cable is adjusted correctly, then the brake is inadequate, or the leverage on the handle is not right.

Mike

Sanding glaze on brake shoe would be like what I did with the clutch to make it work better. what about the band on back brake can it be improved or will it always be 90% squeel and 10% brake. Will work on front today.

Ralph

Whizzer rear brake option

Hi OW there is an upgrade for the whizzer which is a two-shoe expanding type MUCH better rear stopping with this, I and other Whizzer dealers may stock this.

Yes "arc grinding" or "shoe matching" is the same whether Clutch or brakes.

Mike

Hi OW there is an upgrade for the whizzer which is a two-shoe expanding type MUCH better rear stopping with this, I and other Whizzer dealers may stock this.
Mike

Thanks Mike.

Does this also fix the "pressed hub" design deficiency? If so, send me a PM and I'll order one up.

I figure most stopping is done with the front brake. My 99 came with the coaster brake on the rear. I changed it over to a Shimano hub for about $35. Got the hub on EBay. Now when I use the rear brake I can easily skid the tire, if that's the right term. It never did that with the original hub. I figure I can't do better than that.

Last edited:
I am working on the front brake now (beyween honeydos-grand kids-graduations) but I will get it done. As for the back if I could get rid of the squeel -triple the braking I think it still would not slide the tire. There I go thinking again!

Ralph

I recently installed a Worksman coaster-brake rear wheel on "Oscar", my 2005 NE5 Whizzer. (Now with over 300 miles) The coaster brake is a Shimano CB-E110.

The Worksman front wheel with drum brake is enroute to me as I type!

Those are really husky wheels, with 0.120" spokes. (11 gauge)

Hal

Back