running hot... overheating 2 stroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

woods39

MY engine is running hot. Does running your engine richer or leaner make it run cooler??

i may be wrong one of the other members probleys knows more about this then i do. but i dont think running it lean or rich will make a difference in how hot it runs cuz you should know if its running rich. as long as your not letting the motor stay on while not rideing it should not overheat.

Thats right with about any 2 stroke/cycle motor.leaner will make it run hotter,and ritcher should make it run cooler.Easy principal to figure out.2 strokes use the oil in the gas to lubricate the lower end of the motor,as well as the cylinder walls,and rings

jeffspeeder said:
i may be wrong one of the other members probleys knows more about this then i do. but i dont think running it lean or rich will make a difference in how hot it runs cuz you should know if its running rich. as long as your not letting the motor stay on while not rideing it should not overheat.

You are right when you say "you may be wrong here"...
Running too lean will destroy your engine!

Now woods, What makes you think it's running hot? Is it still new? How long have you run it?

Did you read "OPTIMIZE FOR YOUR APPLICATION"?

still breaking it in....

Bikeguy Joe said:
jeffspeeder said:

You are right when you say "you may be wrong here"...
Running too lean will destroy your engine!

Now woods, What makes you think it's running hot? Is it still new? How long have you run it?

Did you read "OPTIMIZE FOR YOUR APPLICATION"?

I am still breaking in the engine...... When taking for a two minute cruise.... if I spit on the engine it sizzles like frying bacon.....
Havent read optimize am about to....

well mine dose that to spitting on a motor will always sizzle if its on. im not shure what the running temp is on one im shure bikerjoe will probley tell you but if your motor is hot while your hand is more then 5 inches away i would be worried but as long as u jhave a good mix and your motor runs fine i would not worry about it

I run my engine pretty hard for hours at a time to travel between cities, its just "pretty warm" at the end of all that, I can put my hand on it for 15 secs or so before i feel pain. Or I just have a high tolerance for pain, lol.

I've never spat on mine, but the advice in one of the previous pasts that says "if you can feel the heat from 5 inches away" makes sense, since my engine runs fine and I can only feel the heat from 1-2 inches away, nomatter the weather.

Well Jeff, I haven't checked the old "spit-o-meter" yet, but I know that a dirtbike engine sizzles when you run through water.....

Keep an eye on it, and read the "Break-in secrets" and Optimize for your application.

Check those gaskets!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back