Running into a few problems installing robin/subaru kit.

Hmm apparently the bike shop guy who i got to fix my brakes suggests that the drive ring (grey plastic thing) should not be on my bike whatsoever because i've had to put so many washers on the bike to make sure it doesnt rub on the frame. If anyone has the same kit i'd love to know what bikes they are using because i sure would like to find a cheap one to put it on to at least use it.

How hard is it to change from the GEBE drive ring system to the staton friction system for this 4 stroke engine?

i was concerned about the outward stretching of the stays, too...figured there isn't much i can do or advise about that over the internet...we have no choice but to assume the basic research has been done before purchase.

when you are looking at potential bicycles, here's the clearance specs you need to know:
measure1.jpg

dang, i want to help...if you find a candidate bike, and it meets the above measurements, feel free to post a pic & i'll give my feedback and advice.

Does GEBE do the staton type drive system as well or would i have to contact them to get that. I think that would suit my system - im just trying to weigh up the cost of getting another bike that may work with using a system that would definetly work.

Also i did do the measurements and i was sure there was clearance. When they talk about the 3 3/8 inches or the size of the long edge of a credit card do they mean from frame point to frame point at 8 1/2 inches horizontal.

I'm going to go have a look for a suitable mountain bike tomorrow. I'll take a tape measure and that diagram with me from GEBE.

How much clearance do you guys usually have between the frame and the drive ring?

I measured about 3 different bikes today and found a whole lot of them had at least 1 & 1/2 inches between the spokes and the frame. Im thinking of getting the Norco Lightline One which has 1.45" of space but its a 20" frame with a 26" wheel which is a bit smaller than my hybrid but its not like im going to be doing much long distance peddling and its only $325 canadian. Although I pm'd that calgary guy who puts HT kits on peoples bikes to see if he can custom modify my trek to suit the gebe motor.

Back