Running wide open throttle for long periods

A

alexander.foti

Sorry if this question has been asked but I searched and could not find anything.

If I run my engine Full throttle (33mph) (literally open all the way ) for lets say 10 minutes, will it be detrimental to the health of the engine rather than say running it at 70% throttle (23mph)?

I say this becuase i do a 10 mile commute everyday and if i could do 33 instead of 23 for some of the journey that would speed it up.

Thanks in advance.

Alex

After I break in my motors I rarely run at anything but Wide open. I do about 7.5 miles each way when I commute to work. Takes me 14-16 minutes depending on traffic lights.

Wide open throttle at a sustained speed will shorten a new happy times engines life, but once it breaks in and smooths out go for it!

All just my opinion...

What kind of motor do you have? I must have missed your intro if you mentioned it there.

Last edited:
the only problems ive had running WOT is in 90+ degree weather then the engine over heats and wont run worth a ****

Last edited by a moderator:
I run WOT except when passing the cop shop or the library. 'Course 90+ degree weather is not a prob here.

Im running a happy time engine thats been very reliable so far.

Apart from the leaking carb, But today i found the screw on the bottle of the bowl loose so im tighenting that up and well see what happens.

:)

Back